Wednesday, August 20, 2008

1st day of school

Dallin had a wonderful first day of school. We got up yesterday morning at 7:00 and Dallin drank his chocolate milk as usual and then he very happily picked out his clothes to go to school. Is it any surprise that he choose to where a Lightening McQueen shirt? He helped me pack his lunch and made sure that I put a couple of Oreos in there so that he could have a special treat. Then we all got in the car to take the two minute drive over to the school. Nathan even decided to go into work late so that he could come with us too. We got there a little early so we had to wait for the bell to ring before going in to Dallin's classroom. Dallin's new teacher, Ms. Allen was there to greet us. I don't think that Dallin even said a word to her when we came in. I think he may have been a little nervous about the whole situation. He didn't whine or cry though. He went into the classroom and found his cubby hole and hung up his backpack. Then he found his assigned seat and sat down ready to learn. We met his teacher last Friday when we went to the school for an orientation. I think that Dallin is in for a really good year and has a really great teacher. I take is as a good omen that one of Ms. Allen's students from last year came running up to her to give her a hug and tell her how much she had missed her over the summer. When Dallin came home, he didn't have a lot to say, but he did say that he had a fun first day of school. He said that he made a new friend. His new friend's name is Ryan and I think he is the little boy that sits next to Dallin at his table. One person though was not too thrilled at having Dallin go to school, and that was Mandy. As we left the school she started to cry because she wanted her Dallin. At home, Mandy kept asking me, "Where is my Dallin?" Once I finally had her convinced that Dallin was at school, her question changed to, "When are we going to get my Dallin?" She is going to need a little adjusting time I think to get used to not having Dallin around to play with her. When we picked Dallin up from school, she gave him a big hug. Judging by the grimace on his face, I don't think that Dallin was as excited about the hug as Mandy was! During the evening, I had the opportunity to go to a parents meeting with Ms. Allen. She explained what they would be doing this year and what things we would be expected to help the kids with at home. She also explained a special situation in the classroom this year. When Dallin came home yesterday, he told me that his teacher told him that he couldn't bring peanut butter and jelly sandwiches to school anymore because they were too messy. Well apparently, the not allowed to bring peanut butter part was true, but it isn't because that is an exceptionally messy sandwich. Ms. Allen asked that all students in her class not bring anything containing any kind of nut, not even in their own lunches, to school. There is a student in their class that is so extremely allergic to nuts that it could be life threatening if he even gets it on his skin. So no PB&Js for Dallin this year. I hope he doesn't get tired of ham or turkey!!

Click to play 1st Day of School


1 comment:

KYLIA said...

I can't believe your first born is in Kindergaren...that is unreal! Before Ms. Mandy knows it, it will be time for her to go too...she better enjoy these days!! :)