Saturday, August 16, 2008

Comforting Mandy

At about 5:30 in the morning, I was sitting on the couch feeding Layton. The couch butts up against the wall that separates the living room from Dallin and Mandy's room, so I had a very good vantage point to hear everything in their room. All of a sudden I heard Mandy start to cry. I thought to myself, "Oh great, I just got Layton back to sleep and she is going to come busting out here and wake him up." (I know, not a real sympathetic thought toward a child having a nightmare, right? 5:30 in the morning is just way to early for me to feel compassionate :) As I finished that thought, I heard Dallin say, "Mandy, what's wrong?" Mandy told him, "There's a storm." If you will remember, Mandy is terrified of thunder, so she must have dreamed that it was storming outside. In actuality I think she may have heard the garbage truck go by and in her sleep thought that it was thunder. I then heard Dallin say, "It's ok Mandy, there's no storm. I am here with you. You're OK. Just go back to sleep." And do you know what? She went right back to sleep. I couldn't believe it. She must really love and trust her big brother.

2 comments:

Nathan said...

She really does love and trust her big brother. So much so that Dallin wishes he had some alone time. I imagine her following him around all of the time could get a little tiresome but he still loves her too.

Marla said...

Dallin is so cute to take care of his little sister like that. What a sweet story. The picture is cute too. What sweet children you have :)