Thursday, August 14, 2008

Happy 31st

Happy Birthday to ME! I was thinking about just skipping over the fact that today was my birthday and not drawing any attention to the actuality that I am now 31. But, why should I? Why is it that as we get older we dislike our birthdays so much? I have recently been teaching my kids the primary song that goes “I like my birthdays every one, each brings a greater joy to me, but I can’t wait until I’m eight, for then I’ll be baptized you see.” When we are young each birthday really does seem to bring some greater joy. “I can’t wait until I’m twelve, for then I’ll be in Young Womens.” “I can’t wait until I’m sixteen, for then I’ll be able to drive a car and go on dates.” “I can’t wait until I’m eighteen, for then I’ll graduate High School.” “I can’t wait until I’m in my twenties, for then I can get married and have kids.” Or one of my personal favorites, “I can’t wait until I’m twenty-five, for then I’ll pay less for car insurance.” As a child I can remember looking forward to so many milestones in my future. Now that I have kids, I would really like for things to slow down. Because for them, I absolutely CAN wait until they are eight, twelve, sixteen, eighteen, and so on. I want it to take as long as possible for them to reach those special birthdays. Honestly I really don’t dread getting older. In fact, in some ways I am enjoying the passing of years. I just wish that I could make them pass a little slower. I will say though that there are still a few things in the future that I “can’t wait” for. One of them is Layton sleeping through the night every night. What a happy day that will be! Another thing that I am really looking forward to is the Second Coming of Christ. For some reason I have been thinking about it a lot lately. I so want it to happen in my lifetime. I so much want to be here to see Him descend from the sky as the King of Kings and Lord of Lords. I don’t know why I want that so much, because there are so many terrible things that will happen prior to His coming that we will have to live through, but I really want to be here as it unfolds. I just hope that for me it is going to be a GREAT day and not a DREADFUL one :)

3 comments:

KYLIA said...

Happy Birthday TK!!!! I wanted to be the first to post on your birthday!! I win (at least I hope I did!)! You are so much better than me...I hate my birthdays now that there is a "3" in front of my age. Guess what?! We are now SINGLE digits from having a "4" in front of our age...how did that happen?! I am so proud of you and all that you have accomplished in your life - you graduated college, went on a mission (learned a very difficult foreign language while you were at it!), got married (a year sooner than me!) and have three cute kids...and you manage to keep it all together! I'm so happy for you, you are such a great example for me and so many others! I hope you have a great birthday...you deserve it!

Love ya!

The Gaga Gazette said...

Happy birthday Katherine! I remember when you were born. Uncle David came and got me and I stayed with the other kids. You have been a blessing to all who know you! Soooo---happy, happy, birthday Katherine dear. Happy days will come to you all year. It I had one wish then it would be, a Happy, Happy, Birthday to you from me!

The Sauls Family said...

Happy Birthday Katheryn! I hope Nathan gets you something nice. ;D