Wednesday, November 5, 2008

Spooktacular


Every year at the Zoo, they go all out with their Halloween decorations and open the zoo during the evening to hand out all kinds of tricks and treats. We went last year, but found that the evening festivities were over run with entirely too many people and so not all that enjoyable. But we loved looking at the hundreds of carved pumpkins all through out the grounds, so this year we went to visit during the day so that we wouldn't have to deal with the crowds, but we could still look at all the cool pumpkins.


Dallin has always been very attached to me and no matter where we go I never have to worry about him wondering off because he is always extremely aware of where I am. He is also very careful about where Mandy is and if we are going anywhere and she gets even a few feet away from us, he is always quick to sound the alarm "Don't leave Mandy!" Recently he has become very worried about us not being able to find him if he gets lost. On our way to the zoo, he told me, "Mom, if you see a five year old who likes Lightening McQueen, that's me, OK?" I tried as hard as I could not to laugh when I said OK back to him because for Dallin this was some really serious business. So next time I see a five year old that likes Lightening McQueen I'll be sure to realize that he is my one and only Dallin, because we all know that there are absolutely no other five year olds out there that like Lightening McQueen.


While at the zoo, we were highly entertained by the antics of the squirrel monkeys. It was a very cool morning and they were really hyped up and jumping around every where. About a month ago three baby squirrel monkeys were born and they were each riding around the exhibit on the backs of their respective mothers. In watching them I realized that while I don't believe in evolution, maybe I do have something in common with these monkeys. I carry my baby around all the time too. Only he is attached at the hip, and requires the use of one of my arms to keep him steady. I think I like the squirrel monkey method of baby wearing better though because it leaves both hands free. However, after having used the hip method of baby wearing with my three children, I have become quite proficient at doing things one handed. I even cut up my pork chop the other night with only one hand. Now that takes skills. So contrary to what Dallin may believe, I think I might have at least one talent!

No comments: