Tuesday, December 2, 2008

The Gallery

While visiting in Bristol, we also had the opportunity to go to the Gadsden Arts Center, where one of my mother's pen and ink drawings was on exhibit. The gallery is located in 'downtown' Quincy where all of the building have that 'old town' look and feel. The building was two stories and was full of beautiful pieces of artwork from local artists. While I think that Mandy and Dallin may be a little young to truly appreciate the amazing artwork that we saw, they absolutely loved being in the huge open rooms with brilliantly shined hard wood floors that created an echo with each step and seeing the bright colors of the different displays. They also loved looking out of the top story windows to watch life passing by below. Being in the gallery and seeing the vast variety of ways that people used to express their thoughts and feelings through the different art medias was very inspiring to me. It made me think of that talk given by President Uchtdorf at the last General Relief Society meeting. In the talk President Uchtdorf discussed two ways in which we can find true happiness, godly happiness. One of those was through the process of creation. He said:









"Creation brings deep satisfaction and fulfillment. We develop ourselves and others when we take unorganized matter into our hands and mold it into something of beauty."






I am so grateful to have a mother who taught me to be creative and showed me through her example how artful expression can be source of joy. Of course, my greatest creations are my children, who also happen to be one of the greatest sources of joy in my life. I love that they too are learning to experience happiness through creation and I hope to encourage them in that throughout their whole lives.

2 comments:

minnieokra said...

I enjoyed your post. Yesterday, your daddy even had to come in to see the postings of the farm....he enjoyed them very much and wants me to print the photographs.

Melissa said...

THat is great you got to go home for the Thanksgiving holidays! I love to see pictures of home, so thanks for posting them! Your kids are soo cute and I love that I feel like I know them, even though we hardly see each other!