Monday, January 26, 2009

Presidential Prayers

Dallin watched the inauguration of President Obama at school last Tuesday. He was excited about it and came home cheering "Barack Obama! Barack Obama! Barack Obama!". It was so cute. And while I didn't vote for Obama, since he was elected I have tried to talk positively about him to Dallin. And truthfully, right now I really do have high hopes that Obama will try to be very moderate about his choices of direction for our country, in which case I hope to be able to support him in those choices. I certainly intend to pray that he will make the right decisions for the future of our great nation.

The night after the inauguration, Dallin decided to pray for him too. I was taking care of Layton so I didn't get to hear all of the prayer, but Nathan shared some of it with me. Dallin prayed,

"We thank thee (he starts every, and I mean EVERY, sentence in his prayers this way) that we can bless the Prophet and missionaries and the people that voted for Barack Obama. We thank thee that Barack Obama can be our President."

Mandy of course loves to copy everything that Dallin says, so in her prayer she said,

"Bless Rock Bama the president."

After hearing that all I could think of was what if "The Rock" really was president. That would be awesome. Dwayne Johnson, well, ROCKS!

After praying for the president, Dallin prayed that they would have good dreams that night. I think Mandy got a little mixed up when she tried to copy Dallin because her prayer request came out this way:

"Please bless that we can have BAD dreams and not GOOD dreams."

I think Heavenly Father probably knew what she meant :)

4 comments:

Kelly said...

How Cute! I was thinking you were going to tell me Dallin was going to end his prayer blessing those that are "Yellow" that they will be mellow... and those that are black and those that are white.. Did you hear that part of the prayer? It was a pretty neat day!
I love kids prayers they are so sweet! I know HF knew what Mandy was saying... because he knows Everything! Miliie calls my Mom "Obama" (Grandma) Kinda fitting as this is the year Obama is President. I think everyone that hears her say that must think I am a HUGE Obama Supporter... I guess I am some what now that he is the President. Go Obama!

Kimberly Redmond said...

Such a cute story!

Melissa said...

That's so funny, because Peyton does the same thing! Every sentence in his prayers begins with "Thank thee" I wonder where that comes from? So we have trying to teach him to say "please bless" Interesting that Dallin does it too!

The Sauls Family said...

My preschool kids cannot stop talking about him. I think they like to say his name, and I admit that it's catchy. :P It probably also helped that the Disney Channel had the Kids Innauguration, which probably exposed a lot of children to things they had never seen before- like a change in presidency, and innauguration, etc. It's exciting to watch our government in action!