Friday, April 24, 2009

Homemade Pizza

I love pizza. As I am sure do most of you. At least I hope so. Because it would just be wrong if you didn’t. I love ordering pizza from all the different pizza places, but sometimes I’m just in the mood for some homemade pizza.

I have never had a very good relationship with homemade bread products. Don’t get me wrong, I LOVE to eat them, but I have yet to be very successful at MAKING them. But pizza dough, now that’s one that I can do because you only have to let it rest and rise for a few minutes rather than hours and you don’t even have to knead it!

It is really simple to make. Just pour 1 packet of yeast into 1 cup of warm water. Add either 2 tbsp of white sugar or 1 tbsp on honey. Gently stir it and then let it sit for about 10 minutes or until it looks really creamy.

IMG_3773

In a large bowl, mix together 2 1/2 cups of flour and 1 tsp of salt. You can use regular white flour, wheat flour, or I like to do half white and half wheat. Pour the yeast mixture over the top and then mix it until well combined. It may look a little sticky, but that’s ok. You really don’t need to knead it. In fact, kneading it too much can make the pizza crust tough.

IMG_3776

Cover the bowl with a towel and then let it sit for 15 minutes or so. Then just dump it out onto your pizza pan. I just do a quick spray of Pam over the top of the pile of dough and it makes it really easy to roll out into the shape I want it right on the pan. You can roll it out thick or thin, however you like best.

IMG_3777

I even did a couple of small ones so that Mandy and Dallin could have their own. Prick the dough a few times with a fork and then let it sit for 15 minutes or so. If you like, you can brush it with melted butter. Place it into a preheated, 350 degree oven and bake for about 12 to 15 minutes or until done. You really don’t want to skip pre-baking the crust or you’ll end up with soggy pizza (trust me, I know from experience :)).

IMG_3779

During all that time that you are having to let the dough sit and also during the cook time, you can prep all of your favorite toppings. These are a few of the ones that we like:

IMG_37811

After the crust comes out of the oven, you can put on you favorite pizza sauce. One that we really like is this Sundried Tomato Pesto Sauce. It is delicious.

IMG_3784

I really load down the pizza with it, right up to the very edge because we like it so much.

IMG_3787

Then just put on your toppings. I lay on the toppings so thick, that we usually have to end up eating the pizza with a fork!

IMG_3790

Mandy and Dallin though, they usually just have cheese or sometimes pepperoni. They are not that adventurous with their pizza toppings.

IMG_3798

Bake in the oven at 350 for 10 to 15 minutes or until the cheese is bubbly and lightly browned. Enjoy!

IMG_3802

Do you ever make homemade pizza? If so, what are some of your favorite sauces, toppings, or dough recipes?

7 comments:

Casey Gentle said...

I've never made my own dough...you might have inspired me though. My husband is a severe pizza lover! Thanks for the easy recipe for pizza dough.

Melissa said...

Thanks Katheryn for all of your great recipes! I can't wait to try this one out! You do such a great job! I love to look at your blog, it always brings a smile to my face!

Erin said...

I love homemade pizza, but I have never been a big fan of the crusts I could find, so maybe this will be the key! Thanks for the recipe. We have tried the Ragu pizza sauce, its okay. I make a great spaghetti/manacotti/lasagna sauce - maybe I can use it on pizza...worth a try.

mrsarmogansclass said...

Yum! I've never dared to try and make a homemade pizza from scratch, but I just might have to your pictures looked SO yummy :) Thanks for the recipe...I'll let you know the night I get brave!

Jinger Deason said...

You should totally do a cooking blog for a major baking company or something!! You're so good, you should be paid!! :)

Becky Shuler said...

What an inspiration you are! I have never been good at baking any hommade breads, crusts, etc. You make it look so easy. I love the pics that show what each stage is supposed to look like. Nathan is a very lucky man as are the children...come to think about it, so am I.

Stacy Pettersen said...

We like to make homemade pizza too, but my recipe for dough-- while yummy-- is much more involved (takes multiple hours). I am excited to try this one!!!