Monday, May 18, 2009

A Plea for Book Suggestions

IMG_4078 copy

Dallin's 6th birthday is coming up soon and I would like to get him a few books for his birthday. But not just any run of mill kind of books, but ones that he will love and treasure and want to read over and over and over again. His reading skills are progressing very quickly and he is so excited about reading. And I want to foster that excitement. But, I am just not sure what to buy him, because let's face it, there are a plethora of really crappy kids books out there and so I need help sorting through all the bad ones to find the ones that are real gems. Do you all have any suggestions? What are some of your favorite children's books? I am looking for ones that he will be able to read with only a little help from me and that have fun, entertaining story lines, nice word flow/cadence, and excellent illustrations. Books that will capture his imagination, make him laugh, expand his horizons, and find joy in just being a kid. I know it’s a tall order, but I want the best of the best to fill our children's library.

And guess what, if we love your book suggestion and decide to buy one of the books that you suggest then you will receive...

...well nothing, exception our undying adoration, infinite appreciation, and eternal devotion.

7 comments:

Kim Jarvis said...

We LOVE books - There are quite a few that we adore!
One off the top of my head is "The Day the Babies Crawled Away".
I know that I should have some more suggestions. I'll just have to go through their stash and take out all of the girly ones!

Stacy Pettersen said...

Max Lucado's "You Are Special" is a GREAT book! Some of the words may be a little hard right now, but this is a book you will cherish forever.

The Sauls Family said...

Are you looking more for picture books or chapter books?

Katheryn said...

Really I'm just looking for any type of book that he would enjoy, either picture books or chapter books suggestions would be great!

The Sauls Family said...

Katheryn, this list just came out, and I've been following it as each book was revealed. It's a great starting point, I think, and there are so many of my old favorites on there.

This is the compilation post- if you click on the title of each book, it takes you to the individual post where you can read more about each book.

Marla said...

My favorite book as a kid was "Stand back," said the elephant, "I'm going to sneeze"-story by Patricia Thomas and pictures by Wallace Tripp. My boys also really like it. I think he would need help reading it but it is a cute, funny story about an elephant who needs to sneeze and all the other animals begging for him not to because of all the damage his sneezes cause. Example: giraffe bent in half, crocodile's snout turned inside out. Fun book!

Becky Shuler said...

I'm not sure if he is quite ready yet, but about half way through
1st grade, Matthew fell in love with The Magic Tree House series by Mary Pope Osborne. They are simple chapter books that teach you facts, information and history. These two kids go back in time and visit places and learn along the way. There are illustrations and Matthew just loves them! I've enjoyed reading some of them to him. They are not expensive (about 3.99 each) or I'm sure you could check them out at your local library. I've bought several because they teach so much, are entertaining and are not gender specific, so all my kids will enjoy them! Good luck!