Friday, August 14, 2009

32 isn’t that old after all…

After 32 years of life experience, I have very gratefully learned a few things…

1.  When I was 23, I thought that when I was in my 30’s I would be really old.  Now that the numbers are reversed, I find out that 32 really isn’t that old after all. 

2.  While having a clean home certainly does bring me peace of mind, sometimes it’s OK to have a messy house.  Sometimes life takes precedence. 

3.  Children can make you feel happy, sad, joyful, depressed, impatient, loving, angry, and peace.  Sometimes all within the space of 10 minutes.

4.  Laundry is the true labor of love.  It is never ending and piles up at an alarming rate, but having lots of clean outfits for your kids to change into after they have smeared chocolate across their shirt, spilled their drink in their lap, covered themselves in dirt from head to toe, or decided that their plain white shirted needed stripes just shows them how much you love them.

5.  You can still type pretty fast with a baby sitting on your lap.

6.  Regular exercise makes me feel great, but sometimes it is hard to squeeze it in to a schedule revolving around kids.

7.  Heavenly Father blesses me not because I deserve it, but because He loves me. 

8.  Heavenly Father blesses everyone differently.  My blessings may not be the same as others blessings.  But in the end, we are all blessed.

9.  A baby’s laugh is one of the best sounds in the world.

10.  Men are SOOOOOOO different from women.  But some of the differences are what I love most about Nathan.

11.   Life normally does NOT go as planned.  But it’s ok, because things have a way of working out for the best.

12.  You can choose to be happy.  Today it’s my birthday and I’m going to make it a happy one!

I have learned many many other things as well, but frankly I have gotten tired of listing them.  See another lesson learned.  It’s ok to stop when you’re tired!   Hope your day is as happy as I’m planning on mine being.

9 comments:

Kim Jarvis said...

I agree on all 12 - even the 13th about quitting when you are tired.
Happy Birthday! Hope that you quit today and make it an enjoyable one!

Nathan said...

Happy Birthday Katheryn! Thank you loving my differences even when it is hard to do. You are one amazing woman and I hope you will enjoy your Birthday Celebration!

Lea Whittaker said...

Happy Birthday! I hope it is a wonderful day for you.

Mandi said...

HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!! I have really enjoyed getting to know you better and primary and I think you are a amazing women and mommy! Enjoy your day!

Casey Gentle said...

Happy Birthday Katheryn! You're so right about "choosing" to have a good day. My mom always told me as she dropped me off at school "make it a great day, that's the only way to have a great day!" Hope your birthday is wonderfully happy and super tasty!

Kelly said...

HAPPY BIRTHDAY to one of my Favorite People in this world! I hope your day is Amazing! Filled with "No" thought of a diet... Lots of Laughs, Plenty of Hugs and Kisses! You are One of a Kind! I have been so Blessed to have you as my Buddy! I love to see you so on top of Everything... you cook a Thanksgiving dinner to die for, You smile while you camp with crazy people anad no sleep, you lead the music like a Champ, you have such Cute kids, (who know someda we might be related?) YOu are one Mean baker, You can pull a primary lesson to gether in a matter of Minutes, You are always Prepared, Keep Primary running smooth as silk, You are the BOMB! Thanks for your friendship! We LOVE You! Happy Birthday!
I LOVED the things you have learned.. they are Great! I have learned I'd like to be more like you! I hope your Goodness is rubbing off on me!
xoxoxox

Erin said...

Happy Birthday! I agree on all of your observations - esp. the one about the laughter of a baby.
You are one AMAZING woman and I love you and all that you do. I hope you have a wonderful day!

Ilene said...

Happy Birthday! You are as Nathan said an amazing woman. You make so many things look like a piece of cake when I know they have to be much more difficult. Hope you had a wonderful day and that the cup cakes were delicious! One thing I learned is not only are our blessing different but our trials, and sometimes I'm glad I have mine and not someone elses!

Stacy Pettersen said...

Yay for 32! When I was 23 (a few months ago), I had already decided that 30's were NOT old. So I guess I'm off to a good start!

HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!