Friday, September 4, 2009

Big Pa and Mama Doris

Big Pa2 copy

This picture represents my earliest memory of childhood.  I remember laying on the couch with my Big Pa.  By the time I came along, my grandfather was in his seventies and was crippled so he spent much of his time lying down.  And he would let me lay with him.  Funny thing is, I’m not even sure this is a real memory.  You know how after you have heard a story told to you over and over you get a picture in your head of that event and somehow it becomes real to you.  This may be the case for this memory because Big Pa died just after I turned 2.  But, because this story is special to me, I’m just going to go on believing that I really do remember it.

Even though Big Pa passed away when I was 2, as you have seen from all the posts this week, Mama Doris is still going strong.  Unlike this single memory that I have of Big Pa, I have a whole lifetime of memories of her.  While growing up, rare was the day that I went without seeing and talking to her.  She has always been an influence for good in my life.  I love her and am so glad that she is my grandmother.  And for Dallin, Mandy, and Layton, she really is a GREAT grandmother.

IMG_5941

7 comments:

Becky Shuler said...

What a sweet story and memory! We are all truly blessed to have Aunt Doris in our life.

Kelly said...

Priceless! I LOVE HER TOO!

Casey Gentle said...

Your relationship with her reminds me of Mark's relationship with his Grandma. It is so sweet and perfect. I wish I could've had that experience with my Granny. But unfortunately that was not the case. I was closer to Mammaw and Pappaw Gullett, both died by the time I was 7. I do have great memories of Pappaw though. Now Mark's Grandma Rita is it for me. She has a very special place in her heart for Mark, he's her first grandchild. She retired to keep him so the parents could work. So he was more like her last baby and first grand all in one. She is wonderful. I can't wait for her to meet her first great grandchild!

Becky Shuler said...

I love what you did with this picture! It looks so much better than the polaroid I gave you. He did love you so.

Mama said that she told Cliff that she was sorry that he never got to meet Big Pa. He replied that he did...before he was born.

minnieokra said...

These are beautiful posts, Ketheryn. I love you.

Stacy Pettersen said...

So is that a picture of you? I see a lot of Layton in it!

Erin said...

I have loved all the posts of your Pa and Mama Doris!
I asked Mandy in Sunbeams if she had gone to see her mommy's family. She smiled and said yes. Then I asked her if she had visited with her Mama Doris...she shouted YES! and started dancing - it was so sweet!