Monday, October 26, 2009

Chapter Books

IMG_7023

Dallin has now graduated from picture books to chapter books. This is a momentous occasion in our household. For the first time he is actually showing some initiative in reading books. He has not exactly been the most excited reader. It has often involved a bit of complaining when I have made him read his assigned book for homework. I think a lot of that had to do with him struggling just a little with it. Schoolwork is not something that he gets with just the snap of a finger, he has to work at it. I don’t mean to give the impression that he is behind in any way, he’s not – he is just your normal average 6 year old with normal average scholastic abilities. In the last few weeks, I think something has really clicked for him. I don’t know if it is his new teacher, or that he has a friend at school that really likes to read, or if he has simply reached a point in his phonetics ability that sounding out words is becoming a little easier for him, but he is actually volunteering now to read and finding joy in it. Each time we pull out the easy reader scriptures (which admittedly is not as often as we should), he immediately asks to be the one to read. And now chapter books! Yay! You should have seen how proud he was to come home with it and show it off to me or how excited he is when he reaches each new chapter. I’ve had a complete running commentary of his progress. It makes me crazily happy.

I love to read. All kinds of book. Did you know that I have read every Louis L’amour book ever written? Yep its true. All one hundred and something of them. Why? Mainly because my dad loved them and I came to love them too. It is from him that I learned to love reading. He almost always has a book by his favorite seat in the living room. Not that my mom doesn’t read too, it is just that my dad ALWAYS seems to have a book at hand. And so now it is my hope that my kids will love reading just as much as me and my father before me. So now for the question of the day – do you have any easy chapter book suggestions for a six year old? Christmas is coming up and I’d love to buy him a few that he would enjoy.

6 comments:

Erin said...

Yeah for Dallin!
He has my suggestion in his hands - the Magic Tree House series. Emma has devoured them since she discovered them. I am not sure if they are for boys or girls, but there is a series for first and second graders called Junie B. Jones.
Ms. Crosby and Ms. Miskowski in the library are great at suggesting the perfect books...I think they have each kid memorized!

We need to get those easy reader scriptures...
So happy for you both on Dallin's new conquest!

Becky said...

Can you still find Nate the Great books? I loved those when I was younger. The Mouse and the Motorcycle. The Indian in the Cupboard series. Encyclopedia Brown books are tons of fun, but might be for slightly older children.

Have fun shopping for books--one of my favorite things to do!

Kelly said...

SMARTIE PANTS! What a blessing to have your kids know how to read! and to LOVE it too! I bet Mandy is in Heaven climbing up next to him listening to him read!
We LOVE THE JARVIS FAMILY!
Love the Brotherly love photos...

Trainer Momma said...

My kids have always loved the Berenstain Bear books -- they also offer a lot of chapter books. When Mandy comes up reading, she will love the Junie B. Jones series... I have a boy coming into that stage and I too am looking for good chapter books for boys. Seems like they enjoy mysteries a lot. I always scour the Scholastic Book orders to see what is new and up and coming. Then I check them out at the library.

Katheryn said...

Thanks for all the suggestions everyone! I'm definitely going to be using them.

Becky - I had forgotten about the Mouse and the Motorcycle book. I love that book and I bet Dallin will love it too!!!

Becky Shuler said...

I'm glad to see he is reading a Magic Tree House book. Matthew absolutely loved those while in 1st grade. Go Dallin! Glad to see you enjoy reading!