Friday, October 30, 2009

What’s with all the blocks?

IMG_7180

I love red, yellow, and blue. They are so bright and lovely and primaryish. So why do I have all these blocks? Well, our primary president, Kelly, had this adorable idea for our primary program. Since our theme song for this year is about building an eternal family, she thought it would be cute if the kids ‘built’ a home out of blocks during the program. So Mandy and her amazing husband Aaron, built a house with a plexiglass front and cut all these blocks for the kids to stack inside the house. Then I got the job of painting the blocks. Yay for spray paint! All painted and done within 1 hour. Awesome.

Then Kelly had another fantastic idea. To personalize each block for each child, we asked the parents for a family picture and put that on their block. So after each child said their part in the program, they walked over to the house and added their block. It was adorable. I wish I had a picture of the finished house, but the only place it was ever set up was in the chapel and I didn’t know if I should take a picture in there. The kids each got to take their blocks home with them as a keepsake of this year’s program.

IMG_7185

I was so proud of Mandy and Dallin saying their parts. Dallin is an old hat at the whole program thing and didn’t have any trouble at all marching up there and saying, “I love reading the scriptures with my family.” Mandy on other hand was experiencing being in the primary program for the very first time. Not only that, she was also the very first child to a say a part in the program!!!! But she did amazing. She went right up there, spoke right into the microphone and said, “Pray always” nice and loud so that everyone could hear. Perfect!

All of the kids did a fantastic job. One of the most touching parts of the program was at the end when Kelly read off each child’s name and all of the people that were there to see that child in the program stood up. I was sitting on the front row helping our chorister so I could see all of the kids faces very clearly. They each looked so happy and proud to be recognized and to see their families standing up and beaming back at them. It was a program we will always remember!

5 comments:

Laurel Shaw said...

Really, that was such a special program. You guys did an awesome job and the kids too. The spirit was so strong as ya'll walked up singing, I was in tears from the beginning. How can you go wrong with FAMILIES?
Now you guys can put up your feet and relax. Right?

Stacy Pettersen said...

Great idea! I wish I could borrow that house for ours next week, rats!

Kim Jarvis said...

Ours is still a few weeks away - I can't wait. I've never seen a Primary Program that wasn't wonderful and didn't bring the spirit. It's one of my favorite Sundays out of the whole year!

Yay for Mandy for being brave and being the first to say her part! If we had been there, we would've stood up tall for our cousins! We love you guys!

Mandi said...

I had a great time with Aaron but I thought of you all on Saturday and on Sunday. I have heard only excellent things about the program so I can only imagine how geat it really was. I am soooo sad I missed it.
Thank you for painting the blocks. Your idea of painting them red, yellow, and blue was a great idea it looks adorable.
Great job on both of Dallin and Mandy's parts for doing their parts but mandy deserves a special acknowledgment. I have a hard time as a adult giving a adult add being the first speaker and you have added a whole new can of worms. SO EXcellent job Mandy! Great job Dallin! Wonderful job tp you. You and your family really are the amazing!!!!

Erin said...

It was the BEST primary program ever! I loved the blocks and Emma and Jake both have them proudly displayed in their rooms.
I am also so proud of Mandy! When I wispered in her ear that it was her turn she never even hesitated! She and Dallin both did a greast job, and from what I heard of Layton's singing during practice I think he will do just great, too!