Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Chocolate

I told you Layton really likes chocolate…
IMG_9070
a lot.  And that’s a lot of chocolate.  Originally purchased to make Chocolate Lava Cakes.  But because he is craftier than me, he found the chocolate that I had hidden way up on the back of the kitchen counter and dove in.  He is such a booger.
Anyway, back to the Chocolate Lave Cakes.  If you have never had one, well then you are SOOOOO missing out on one amazing chocolate experience.  They are surprisingly easy to make and taste like a little piece of chocolate heaven.
Here’s what you’ll need to make it:
4 squares BAKER'S Semi-Sweet Chocolate (or 4 oz. high quality dark chocolate)
1/2 cup  (1 stick) butter
1 cup powdered sugar
2   eggs
2 egg yolks
6 Tbsp.  flour
Now for the instructions:
PREHEAT oven to 425°F. Butter four 3/4-cup custard cups or soufflé dishes. Place on baking sheet.
MICROWAVE chocolate and butter in large microwaveable bowl on HIGH 1 min. or until butter is melted. Stir with wire whisk until chocolate is completely melted. Stir in sugar until well blended. Blend in eggs and egg yolks with wire whisk. Stir in flour. Divide batter among prepared custard cups.
BAKE 13 to 14 min. or until sides are firm but centers are soft. Let stand 1 min.  Serve immediately, topped with vanilla ice cream.
Those are the original instructions.  I actually baked mine in the little prep bowls from Pampered Chef.  They have a maximum oven rating of 350 degrees, so I baked mine at 350 for about 20 minutes and yielded the same results as the original recipe.  The idea is to bake the outer part of the cake and leave the center soft and runny.  It will look like this when cooked.
IMG_9514
Just use a knife and loosen the edges and then invert it onto a plate.  Top with a large scoop of vanilla ice cream and eat immediately.  The contrasting hot and cold is part of the goodness of the experience.  This recipe is super easy to increase the number of servings or decrease them.  In fact, when I originally made them during the holidays I completely forgot to take a picture of them (I know, the horror!) and so I actually made a single serving just to get a picture.
IMG_9522
Don’t feel sorry for me though for having to go through so much trouble just to take a picture.  The second the picture was taken, Mandy, Layton, and I dove right in and enjoyed a few minutes of chocolate utopia.  So worth it just for a picture :)

3 comments:

Kim Jarvis said...

One of my favorite desserts of all time! I make this every once in a while, but my recipe seems much harder. I'm going to have to give this one a try and compare. Anything to make my life easier!

Brittney said...

I have had those before! And they do taste amzing! I acually had one at North Carolina! It was super good! And I am with Layton! I love me some chocolate! Once for my birthday I got a 5 pound chocolate bar! Talk about some good stuff! You could smell it from a mile away! Love always, Britt :)

Becky Shuler said...

Oh my goodness. That looks so delicious. I'm totally craving chocolate now...(thanks a lot, Katheryn!) :)