Thursday, January 28, 2010

Fire!

Last weekend we were invited over for an oyster roast at the home of long-time family friends.  We love going to their home because they have a humongous back yard where the kids have the most wonderful time.  Layton enjoyed being pushed around on the little cars/bikes. 
IMG_9612
Dallin, Mandy, and Chloe spent most of the evening jumping on the trampoline.
IMG_9635
It got pretty dangerous at times.
IMG_9633
But there was also lots of love.
IMG_9636
After the oysters were all roasted,
IMG_9643
Nathan dug right in.  I just don’t know how he eats them.  I just can’t stomach them.
IMG_9645
Thank goodness Sister Wheeler made some of her famous corn chowder.  So Yummy.  Not to mention these amazing cupcakes that I tried out.  I don’t normally like to try out a new recipe to take somewhere because sometimes it is not always as good as I thought it would be, so normally when I take something somewhere I stick to tried and true recipes.  This time though, I came across this cupcake recipe that looked so good.  Chocolate Cheesecake Cupcakes.  Just the name sounds good.  They turned out even better than I thought they would.  I took 24 of them over there and people were complaining that I didn’t bring enough!!!!  I promise, I’ll share the recipe tomorrow.
The kids enjoyed roasting a few marshmallows
 IMG_9658 IMG_9659IMG_9665
over a beautiful fire.
IMG_9648
That fire really is lovely isn’t it?  The flickering flames of a fire can be so mesmerizing.  That is until the flames get so high that they become terrifying.
IMG_9669
The big event of the evening was the burning of Christmas trees.  It was crazy how high they burned.
IMG_9687
It was easy to see how quickly during dry weather acres and acres of forest could be consumed so ferociously by the greedy flames.
IMG_9698
The intensity was so great that all the plastic cups left on the tree stumps near the fire melted.  It was crazy and amazing and a little scary and strangely beautiful all at the same time.
IMG_9678

5 comments:

Laurel Shaw said...

THe Wheelers can really throw a party! and burn down the nieghborhood! That was a scary fire. Her corn chowder is the BEST!
and your cupcakes sound yummy too!

Casey Gentle said...

I really want that corn chowder recipe!! And your cupcakes sound delicious.

Kim Jarvis said...

I have that corn chowder recipe, thanks to Laurel. YUMMY! But, I can't wait for tomorrow to get the cupcake recipe. That is the combination of my 2 favorite things - chocolate and cheesecake.

Becky Shuler said...

Ok, I want BOTH recipes - Corn Chowder and the cupcakes. I would have been terrified watching those great big flames.

Linda Wheeler said...

The pictures turned out great!! and your cupcakes were super yummy!!