Monday, March 22, 2010

We’re Seeing Green!

St. Patrick’s day came around and I didn’t really have anything planned for it.  Sure, I remembered to have Dallin wear green to school and I even put on a green shirt myself.  But, I didn’t have anything special planned to do with the kids.  While at play date, some of the other moms were discussing possibilities for cooking something fun that night for dinner, so I figured why not me too?
Chloe, Maren, and Nana came over and we had some Amazingly Easy Irish Soda Bread.  What is so amazing about that recipe title is I didn’t even have to make it up – that’s really what it’s called!  It kind of tasted like a giant buttermilk biscuit.
IMG_0809
We ate some split pea soup, made with this yummy peppered bacon.  I’ve never cooked with peppered bacon before, but this stuff is tasty!
IMG_0798
Then we had some green honeydew melon.
IMG_0803 IMG_0808
However, while everyone else only ate green food, Mandy with her particularly picky eating style, ate strawberries instead.  Red and green were meant to go together, right?  She even wore a red shirt instead of a green one.  She always has to stand out from the crowd!
IMG_0811
We finished off the meal with some sugar cookies with green icing!  Mandy certainly didn’t object to this part of the green evening!
IMG_0818IMG_0812 IMG_0813 IMG_0817 
Nana decided that the icing was the best part, so she skipped the cookie and went straight for the icing!
IMG_0821
It was a very nice, very green evening!

4 comments:

Heath Thompson said...

What a Fun night! I am happy you got inspired at play group! Wish I could have joined in on the fun of playing with you all!Looks like it was well worth the hard work of getting it all ready. The food sounds super yummy and the cookies are a perfect finish! I LOVED seeing "Nana, Chole and Maren..(sp) I miss you all!
This is from Kelly!

Erin said...

Katheryn, will you be my mommy? You always do the best stuff with your kids!
I love that my Sunbeam always stands out in a crowd - what a girl!
Sounds like you guys had a great St. Pat's - Erin Go Braugh!

Kim Jarvis said...

The girls were jealous when they saw this post. Sure wish we could've been there.

Stacy Pettersen said...

Jon asked me if the bread was moldy! (To his credit, though, he hadn't read the post, he just looked down and saw the picture.) Anyway, that does look like fun. I made corned beef but didn't have anything green... good idea!