Wednesday, December 14, 2011

Relief Society Christmas Party

Last night was our annual Relief Society Christmas Party.  Our theme for the program/dinner was:

RS Invitation

We decorated the tables with lots of angels all around.

IMG_0966IMG_0967

And then after a yummy meal cooked and served by the men, we had a short little program.  We had asked several sister to share an experience of when they had received service from their fellow RS sisters and how it had blessed them.  It was so sweet and wonderful to hear some of the things that they shared.  It is so special to belong to a group of women who truly are angels walking among us, helping those around them and allowing others to feel their Heavenly Father’s love through them.

IMG_0959IMG_0960IMG_0962IMG_0963IMG_0932IMG_0933IMG_0934IMG_0938IMG_0939IMG_0940IMG_0942IMG_0943IMG_0945IMG_0946IMG_0948IMG_0950IMG_0971IMG_0944

For the last couple of months some of the sisters in RS had “adopted” one of the young women in the ward and had secretly brought them gifts and sent them cards and did other things to let the young women know how much they care about them.  Last night, the young women got to find out who their secret sisters were!

IMG_0957IMG_0958IMG_0931IMG_0937IMG_0947IMG_0949IMG_0952IMG_0953IMG_0956

We had such a great turn out for the evening.

IMG_0970

We closed the night by reading the words to this country song from a few years back:

I was walking home from school on a cold winter day
Took a shortcut through the woods, and I lost my way
It was getting late, and I was scared and alone
But then a kind old man took my hand and led me home

I believe there are angels among us
Sent down to us from somewhere up above
They come to you and me in our darkest hours
To show us how to live, to teach us how to give
To guide us with the light of love

When life held troubled times, and had me down on my knees
There's always been someone to come along and comfort me
A kind word from a stranger, to lend a helping hand
A phone call from a friend, just to say I understand
And ain't it kind of funny at the dark end of the road
That someone lights the way with just a single ray of hope

I believe there are angels among us
Sent down to us from somewhere up above
They come to you and me in our darkest hours
To show us how to live, to teach us how to give
To guide us with the light of love

They wear so many faces, show up in the strangest places
To grace us with their mercy, in our time of need

I am so grateful to have so many angels in my life!

5 comments:

Laurel Shaw said...

It was great! Thanks to our wonderful Relief Society presidency!
Merry Christmas!

Pam said...

The RS Presidency did a wonderful job last night! It was nice to see that more tables had to be set up because of the number of sisters that came. I truly hope that the stories that were shared and the words of the song you shared touched my aunt who came who is not active. I know they touched my heart as well as many others. We have such wonderful angels in the Middleburg ward! : )

Kim Jarvis said...

I love that song! It reminds me of when I was a kid. Looks like a great activity!

Nana said...

It was a fun night and everything looked beautiful. We used that song as our theme song one year at girls camp.

Kelly said...

OK are you the RS PRES? they would be super lucky if soo! Looks and sounds like a wonderful night! Seeing the pic of everyone made me super dupper homesick for you all! Miss and love you!