Tuesday, August 12, 2008

Working Mom

I never really thought that after having three kids that I would still be working. Somehow in my mind, everything was just going to work out perfectly so that once I had children, they would become my career. But things don't always work out as planned and in order to keep us afloat I have had to continue to work part-time. Heavenly Father has really blessed me though. He helped me get into a job that not only brought me here to Jacksonville so that I could meet my eternal soul mate, but has also allowed me to be a stay at home mom and a part-time career woman. I go into the office about once a week to drop off completed work and to pick up new projects that have been assigned to me. And the great thing is that they let me bring my kids in to the office with me. Since I have to work, I really couldn't have asked for a more ideal situation. It is great. But it is also very stressful. I often have to do my work with kids either sitting in my lap or climbing all over me. And when I have a project that has a very short deadline, it can get pretty harried for me. But I love my kids and I am so grateful that I get to stay at home with them.

3 comments:

LESLIE said...

I'm so hoping that maybe I can be blessed with a similar scenerio. In order for me to get licensed I have to work under someone for 3 years. The technology changes so much and I'm not sure how I can "sit out" from the work force very long...Aunt Doris is always telling me about your situation so hopefully something will come up!

Katheryn said...

I am sure that something will come up for you. Things always seem to have a way of working out for the best! I think you are amazing by the way. Having a baby and getting a degree at the same time is pretty awesome!

The Sauls Family said...

It's funny- I just kind of lucked into my "career". When we moved to Tifton 8 years ago, almost all of the stay-at-home moms in the ward worked at a local Methodist preschool. Their kids also went there, so they got reduced tuition, and they could slip into parties and stuff like that their child's classes might be having. It was a win-win situation! One of the ladies asked if I might be interested in teaching, and I said sure!

I stayed there for four years, until we moved over here to Albany. I *loved* that job. It was so much fun, the girls were right there with me- it was the perfect job for a mom! I cried when I had to leave it. (Don't get me wrong- I was glad James was finally done with school and that he got a job *he* loved. But I still hated to leave the job I loved.)

Ever since we moved over here three years ago, I've wanted to get back into teaching at a preschool. Last year, a friend from church asked if I'd be interested in subbing for a maternity leave at the preschool her kids went to, and I jumped at the chance! I subbed practically every day, and in March the director said she wanted me to take a class this year.

So I've been so lucky to be in the "right place at the right time" TWICE now. I never thought teaching preschool would be something I would enjoy or even be good at. It's a job that challenges me and provides a little extra income for us, but at the same time allows me to be there when the girls need me, which is my first priority.