Sunday, September 21, 2008

Promise of a Toy

It will never cease to amaze me how well bribing children really works. Can you believe that my children actually adore going to the dentist? That is because they know if they sit still and let their teeth get cleaned and checked that the hygenist will give them a coin which they can then use to purchase a little toy. Mandy went in for her semi-annual cleaning on Tuesday. When I told her that we were going to the dentist that morning she clapped her hands and jumped for joy. Not exactly how I respond when reminded of a dentist appointment, but to each his own, right? For some reason little teeny tiny rinky dink toys have such excitement associated with them that upon being called back for her appointment Mandy climbed right up into the dental chair, laid back and opened her mouth. She sat without whining, following every instruction from the hygienist while her teeth were flossed, brushed and received a fluoride treatment. When the hygienist was finished the dentist checked her teeth and said they look healthy, although because of her small mouth and very narrow palate he is positive that she will need to have braces in the future. I guess I need to start saving up now for the small fortune that that is going to cost. The dentist asked how old she was and I told him that she will be three in November. He was a bit shocked and said that he rarely ever sees a two year old be so good during a dental exam. I just had to laugh because I knew what was causing the amazingly good behavior. I think he may have gotten an inkling of its cause when he saw the hygienist hand Mandy her coin and for the second time that day she clapped her hands and jumped for joy. I wonder what other things I can bribe her into doing???

3 comments:

The Sauls Family said...

Ahhh- the joys of orthodontia! Both of the girls have small palates. Madeline has already had braces for a year, and Bella got her retainer last month, and is due to get her braces *next* month.

The orthodontist assures me that all of this isn't for straigtening their teeth- no, this is just to make more room in their mouths for their permanent teeth in hopes they won't be too crooked.

If we end up spending less than $3000 per child I'll be shocked.

Katheryn said...

Yikes! It gives me a headache just to think about spending that much money!! And knowing my luck, all three of mine will need braces!

Stacy Pettersen said...

Ooo, I will have to remember this trick for our kids, and make sure our dentist has a treasure box!