Friday, September 12, 2008

Reminders of Gratitude

Yesterday was both a heartbreaking day and oddly enough an inspiring one. Unwittingly, because apparently I have a big mouth and am not shy about voicing my opinions I have grievously offended Nathan's two aunts. Who knew that suggesting that Christmas be more Christ centered, or going Christmas caroling in the neighborhood, or rather than exchanging gifts we instead use the money to purchase goods for the homeless would be offensive ideas? How was I supposed to know that there was a long history of bad feelings toward any mention of religion? But even though it was an unintentional offense they have chosen to dislike me because of my religious attitude. It hurt my feelings terribly that people would choose to dislike (this is really putting it mildly, but I didn't want to use the word hate because it sounds so impossibly unforgiving) me so much without even knowing me. I think that I have spent maybe a couple hours in their company no more than 10 times since I married Nathan and each of those times it was in a big group where there would have been no way for them to get to know me. So after spending a few hours crying and feeling sorry for myself, it was then that Heavenly Father blessed me with one of those special moments when you can feel his love almost physically fold around you like a warm blanket. I was forcibly reminded of His love for me and who I am and why I am here. I am first and foremost a beloved daughter of our Heavenly Father. I am a spiritual being divinely appointed to be here on this earth at this time. I am secondly a wife. I have for a husband someone who loves me completely and who I love without measure in return. Even though we have only been married for a little less than seven years, I feel like I have always been with him. I can't imagine life without him and I don't want to imagine a life where he would not be standing side by side with me. I am thirdly a mother. I know I complain sometimes about the difficulties my children cause me, but every little inconvenience is worth it. When a sweet little two year old tells you they love you at least 20 times a day and repeatedly comes up to you all day long to give you a hug and tell you that you are her best buddy, how could you not love being a mother? Seeing the pride in a five year olds eyes when he reads a book to you rather than you reading to him, how could you not love being a mother? When your little one is fast asleep in your arms and you hear him laugh in his sleep, how could you not love being a mother? I am so grateful for those moments when Heavenly Father reminds me of the many blessings that he has given me. Sometimes it takes a really dark moment in life to realize how truly blessed we are.

3 comments:

Kelly said...

BUMMER! I am sorry you had a rough day. You should have called me up and said, "make me some brownies!"
If those aunts only knew the real you they would LOVE You! I hope your day is better today, I'm glad you had your wits about you to look for the blessings in your life! I am sad I missed play group today. I helped my neighbor down the street who needed my help. Did you go and was it a good turn out? Hope you felt the warm sunshine on your face and remembered how LOVED you really are.

Katheryn said...

Thanks Kelly! Today was beautiful at the park. I am so sad that you missed it but glad that you were helping someone and I know that they were glad about that too :).

Becky Shuler said...

You are an inspiration to me and I am grateful for your example. Keep being the wonderful person that you are and don't worry about what others think. You are great!