Thursday, October 30, 2008

A Yummy FHE



Sunday night we were invited to join the Thompsons for family home evening (which also counts as Nathan and Heath's home teaching visits). The temperature was beginning to drop just a bit outside, so it was a perfect time to enjoy a little fire. Kelly shared a story with us to help us remember that Christ is the Light of the World and that when we see light, whether from a fire, a candle, or even the sun, we can be reminded of the love of our Heavenly Father and our brother Jesus Christ. Then she invited each of the kids to name something that they can do to show Heavenly Father and Jesus Christ how much they love them. As expected, the kids just named random things, from flowers to exercise, that somehow we were able to find a way to tie into the original question asked. After the lesson, we roasted marshmallows and made smores, which just happens to be one of Dallin's very favorite things to do. He loved it. I think he ate about 10 roasted marshmallows and then made himself a very yummy ooey-gooey smore. Mandy stuffed her mouth with marshmallows and then licked all of the chocolate off the graham cracker. It was such a pleasant evening. They have such a wonderful spirit in their home that it is a pleasure just to be there. They are the kind of family that I want mine to be like. Kelly is an amazing, loving, wonderful, energetic, caring, giving, sweet mother. When I think of her I always think of Mary Poppins and how she is "practically perfect in every way". I know you are not supposed to do this, but it is something that I have done for as long as I can remember and I just can't seem to get out of the habit. I constantly compare myself with the people that I am around and I always find myself lacking. I don't know why I torture myself that way because in my head I know that the lives of the people I am comparing myself to are not always what they seem. But I do it anyway and then I feel sad that I don't measure up to the standard that I perceive that others live. And I feel really guilty doing it right now because that very Sunday I based my singing time on the page in this month's Friend by Elder Holland who taught that we should speak as Jesus Christ would speak. I discussed each principle presented by Elder Holland with the children and then we sang a related song. One of the principles that we discussed was "speak positively, including about yourself". I even took it one step further and told the children that you should "think positively, including about yourself". Why is it that I don't take my own advice? It is not that I think that I am a BAD mother, it is just that I know I could do better. So maybe I shouldn't think of my crazy habit of comparing myself to others as a bad thing, but rather as a way that I can take the good that I see in others and try to find a way to put that goodness in me.

2 comments:

Kelly said...

Oh my godness.. looking at those yummy treats makes my mouth water! I could go for another party with you guys right now. This time I won't melt the chocolate so it drips all over us. Although that was the best part! Love the photos you got of the kids eating. And some how you snaped on of me. Thank you for your kind words. I do the same thing... I compare also. First thing I did was look at the photo of me was to think oh I look like my Mom. (not that that is bad I just don't see myself as looking so motherly and I keep getting bigger, bummer) I think it is a naural thing us women do it's not fair. Lets kick the bad habit and love ourselfs the way we are! I like the idea of looking for things we like about other people and strive to be like that but not get down on ourselfs. You are such an AMAZING Wife and Mother. I am always in AWE of all you do and that you Always have that darling bright smile and happy laugh! We have LUCKED out to have you guys as our Hometeaching Friends. We Love being with you each month! Last night was fun and you guys looked great all dressed up! So Fun!

Ilene said...

That's looks Yummy! I do the same thing, funny how that is but we all find people that we admire and want to be like becaus eof there special talents. Especially when they are great talented women in the curch that have amazine families like yours and kelly's. Have a safe halloween:)