Monday, November 10, 2008

Still Counseling

Saturday morning Nathan was out doing good deeds with his dad (they were helping someone move), and his father mentioned that a new bishop was going to be called on Sunday. This of course took Nathan by surprise since he is a member of the bishopric and he had not heard that any changes were to be made.

During the day both he and I started to get our hopes up that maybe since he hadn't been called in by the stake president to have an interview, that he might be getting released and would no longer be a counselor in the bishopric. As the day wore on, our hopes got higher. Then at 9:15 the phone rang and I looked at the caller id and recognized the stake executive secretary's name. Guess our luck didn't hold out.

Sunday morning I had to get three kids ready by myself (which is not unusual) and get to church by 8:15 (which is highly unusual, as I am normally walking through the door at 8:57) to meet with a member of the stake presidency. So now instead of being the second counselor, he is the first. But at least he is no longer the youngest high priest in our ward, the other counselor is about a year and a half younger.

I know I really need to change my attitude about him being in the bishopric. It is just so stressful being a single mom every Sunday. (I am selfish, I know. I don't normally like to be judged, but since judging me to be a selfish person would be totally true, feel free to go ahead and do it.) I now have so much respect for all those single moms out there that have to do it alone everyday. Even with the inconveniences it brings, I know that we will be blessed by him having this calling.

In fact, in the setting apart blessing that President Copeland gave Nathan, he blessed Nathan that the masters program that he will start next summer will be "easy" for him. His mind will be opened to have a keen understanding of the principles and ideas being taught. I hope and pray that really is the case. Being in school is always extremely stressful for Nathan, and if accepting this calling means that school will be much easier for him, then all the single mom Sundays I have ahead of me will totally be worth it.

5 comments:

minnieokra said...

My mother used to tell me "it is more blessed to give than to receive." I believed her. I think loving and doing for your family and for the Lord is a forever commitment. Love you. Mama

Shauna said...

What a cute blog! I ♥ it! Thanks for sharing :) ♥ Hugs!

Shannon said...

Awesome blog! And I think many women can relate to the thoughts you expressed here.

Thanks for coming by and saying hello on my blog! Please stop by any time!

Lindsay said...

I really know what you mean - I am really selfish with my time and it is so hard! That is great that you are 3 minutes early for church I am very late even with David's help!

Kim Jarvis said...

Congratulations (I guess?)
I would be feeling the same way!