Wednesday, December 17, 2008

Santa's Workshop

For the past two years, the last primary activity day of the year has been held at the beginning of December and is a "Santa's Workshop". Ward members donate new or gently used items, like picture frames, toys, purses, books, home decor, and many other things. Then the kids are able to come in and pick items to give to their parents or siblings for Christmas.







I think it is such a great way to save parents money during the holidays so they don't feel the need to go out with their kids and let their kids buy presents for them. Then after the kids wrapped up the presents they chose, there were a few crafts that they made.



They decorated paper Christmas trees and covered them with glitter (although if we do this next year, I think I'm going to suggest using glitter glue, because wow what a mess).








Then they made pine cone bird feeders with peanut butter and bird seed. And the last craft was puzzle piece wreaths decorated with buttons and sequins. Layton even got into the fun of everything. He especially enjoyed the pine cones and the empty wrapping paper rolls. All in all it was a highly successful primary activity day.







I'll have to say that the primary presidency we currently have in our ward is one of the best I've ever seen. They spend so much time thinking of each child.







They even took the time to go through the children one by one, look at their family situation, and chose those children that needed the most cheer in their homes this year. They then wrote out an anonymous gift request with the child's gender and age on it and let volunteers from the Relief Society purchase a special gift for each of those children.




The spirit that is felt during each activity and sharing time is so special and strong. I am absolutely positive that every single child can feel how much they love them. I hope they realize how much they are doing to brighten the lives of the sweet children in our ward.

7 comments:

KYLIA said...

That is such a great idea! I saw an idea about letting the kids do service all year and then earning "Service Bucks" to "buy" stuff for their family...this idea seems much easier though! Thanks for sharing!

Nathan said...

We definitely have a great Primary Presidency and they will stay there for as long as the Lord wants them there. All of us can follow that example in our individual callings and service. Thank you for that post.

Heath Thompson said...

WOW... I LOVED reading those KIND words! I so LOVE being in Primary with those sweet little spirits! It starts my week with such a Bang! I couldn't ask for a better calling, getting to be with my children each week. And the ward couldn't have found a better music leader! We LUCKED OUT!!! You work your magic each week... paino or no panio! AMAZING!
I love the primary Christmas party so sad we missed it. Kade got invited to a Wrestling Tournement in Georgia. We got the message on the way home from the ward party. He was hoping to get the invite and so when it came we couldn't turn down the chance. He did Awesome. He won 5 out of 6 matches! Woo Hoo! The photos look like it went just dandy! I want to see what LUCKY treats you get to open up! So Fun!
The ward Party photos look great too! SO fun for the kids get to see Santa. To bad that the man had to enter and cause problems. Break my heart! Well I loved your kind words once again. I will have to call the others and pass on the info to check out your blog. I LOVE YOU!
Thanks!
Opps it's Kelly I need to tell Heath he off limits of this computer... His is not working so we are sharing... Funny!

Kelly said...

OMG! I didn't notice the photo of me doing the skit until now when I was showing Maizie your blog. Feel Free to take that baby OFF! Scary!
Ha!

Katheryn said...

What???? I thought that was a great picture!!!!! The expression on your face is priceless. I just wish it didn't turn out quite so blurry. This is a big hint to Nathan - you NEED to start saving up so that you can buy me a really good digital SLR camera!!!!!!

Lea Whittaker said...

Looks like you do so many neat activities around Christmas...what great memories you will have with your kids and for them to pass on.

Kim Jarvis said...

sounds like fun!
We are biased to one of the counselors! LOVE her!