Thursday, January 22, 2009

Mama's got a new toy

And I couldn't be happier with it. Because my sweet baby Layton was born last year and cost us an arm and a leg (more than $2500) to be born, we are getting a pretty nice tax refund this year. And rather than being the smart, responsible adults that we should be and putting the money straight into savings, we decided (or rather Nathan let me after I begged and begged and begged) to feed my need for photos and buy a digital SLR camera. I have absolutely no clue how to use it yet, other than to turn it on and put it on full auto. But just on auto, the camera takes amazing pictures. All of these photos were taken inside, in poor lighting conditions and yet they came out great. Seriously, you can see right up Layton's nostrils. It is awesome. The level of detail is amazing, which I know will not be quite as apparent to you because I compressed the files to make them more "web" friendly, but still, wouldn't you just kill to have those eyelashes sported by both Layton and Dallin. Why is it that boys always seem to have such luxurious eyelashes???



I am so excited to learn how to use my new camera. It has 25 (yes, I counted) different buttons/dials on it that are just a little intimidating. But eventually I am going to learn how to use them all properly. So be watching for that day when I post some phenomenal photo that just makes you say "wow, that's beautiful", because that will be the day that I finally learn how to use the camera to its full potential. Or it might just be the day that while in the auto setting, a fluke happens and I end up with an eye stopping photo. Who knows. I'm hoping for the first option, but truthfully the second seems much more likely.



So now off I go to start pressing buttons and turning dials and hoping for that perfect photo!

7 comments:

Kim Jarvis said...

I am so jealous! That is what I would be begging for right now too, but no hope in my future :(
We'll just have to make you the designated photographer at all of the family functions that way we can all benefit from your new toy!

Becky Shuler said...

I cannot think of anyone who would enjoy this camera more! Kudos to you. I already thought you took great photos but you are right...the detail is incredible!
Congratulations.

Ilene said...

I'm jealous too! I want a new camera but also not in our budget. I noticed you with it on FHE night. Too Cool! I'm sure it will get lots of use!

The Sauls Family said...

I am very, very jealous. :P

Stacy Pettersen said...

Oooo... sounds fun. Unfortunately (or actually probably fortunately), we have to be "responsible" with our refund because my student loans are coming due. =( Oh, and I know how you feel. I haven't added it up yet, but I think Annabelle cost us at least $2,000!

Becky Shuler said...

Oh Katheryn, I recently got a new Canon digital SLR camera and I LOVE IT!! How do you compress the files? I haven't figured that one out yet! I know what you mean about all the buttons and options being intimidating! I excited to learn more about the camera too but for now...I'm like you. Loving the pictures that I take on AUTO!!! :) So happy for you!!

Melissa said...

I have a Cannon and LOVE IT! You will too! Congrats, it was the best present I ever bought myself!