Friday, February 13, 2009

I love you because....

Last Saturday, we held our first quarterly Primary activity of the year. Because it was so close to Valentine's day and our theme for the year is based on the family, we decided to make it a parent/child activity. All of the activities were designed to have the parent and child interacting together.


I think the favorite game of the day was the three legged race. But then, honestly, who doesn't love a good three legged race? We even set up a little photo booth and took pictures of the kids together with their parents. I really enjoyed being the photographer (and I use that termly loosely here) of the day. The family photos turned out really cute.


After all the fun and games. The kids served the parents a wonderful snack of fruit and homemade cinnamon rolls, which were absolutely delicious. They were covered in cream cheese icing and were fabulous. While everyone ate, we watched a little video that the kids had made the Sunday before. We asked each child what he or she loved about their mom and dad. We got some super cute answers ranging from good cooking to hot fudge sundaes to Dallin's which was that he loves me because I tell him and Mandy what to do. I'm glad he enjoys that part of our relationship, but I'll have to say that usually in the moment when I'm telling him what to do, he doesn't appear to enjoy it as much as that statement would lead you to believe.


And what did Layton do during all these lovely festivities? He observed. And enjoyed himself thoroughly in the process. After the activity, I took the photos to Walmart's one hour photo and had them printed. Then on Sunday, we took the pictures and made little photo frames for the kids to give to their parents for Valentine's Day. I gave Dallin the choice of either using the photo of our family in his frame or a picture of him and his friend Maizie. Not too surprisingly, he chose to go with the picture of him and his adorable little friend.




5 comments:

Heath Thompson said...

That was one HECK of a PARTY!! I know the Thompson Troop had a wonderful time... Thanks for the photos and the frames... we sure love looking at them, Our Fridge looks Great! Maizie feels LOVED for being Dallins pick~! You should have seen her GRIN!
We love you because...
you love us...
you eat sushi with us...
you dance with us...
you want to go camping with us..
you roast marshmellos with us..
just to name a few...
xoxoxoxox
Kelly, Maizie and Millie

Becky Shuler said...

I know ya'll do the most creative activities in your ward (branch)! Lots of fun.

Ilene said...

Looks like we missed a great primary party! Can I borrow the movie I bet it was the cutiest.

The Sauls Family said...

Too cute Katheryn!!

What are some of the other games y'all did?

Katheryn said...

Ilene - yes, we really missed you guys that Saturday. I left the DVD in the primary closet. Remind me on Sunday and I'll get it for you.

Jennifer - We did a heart bean bag toss, heart tic-tac-toe, and the three legged race. We also put out a big roll of paper and let the kids and parents write love notes to each other, which we then hung up in the primary room. It was a lot of fun!