Monday, February 2, 2009

The Music Maker

I have always loved the piano. Well, maybe I should quantify that. I have always loved the sound of a piano played well and I love the feel of the keys under my fingers when they know exactly where to go to make the notes come together to play a song perfectly. I can't however say that I really and truly enjoy the hours and hours of practice required to make a song sound perfect. Perhaps that's why I am only mediocre at the piano. But I really do love to listen to piano music and I think that Mandy has inherited that trait. At only three years old, she knows how to turn the piano on ( I have a digital piano), press the correct buttons (which is a three step process) to play the demo music programmed on the piano. Usually she will then try to play along with the music or sometimes she will dance to it. Most of what is programmed in the piano is classical, with a little jazz, and modern pieces thrown in there too. I am hoping this means that when she is old enough to start taking piano lessons that she will really get into it and learn to love it. And I am really hoping that she won't hate the practicing part of it as much as I do and will learn to play much more beautifully and proficiently than me. But isn't that every parent's wish? That your child will do more and be more and be better than you are. It is certainly my wish for my children.

6 comments:

Nathan said...

I too hope that our children will surpass my accomplishments and be even more successful in life than I have been. But most of all I want them to be happy and healthy and truly learn how to love and serve Heavenly Father and Jesus Christ. I know that learning to serve faithfully will bring all the successes they have in store for them and not necessarily what I may envision for them.

Lea Whittaker said...

Love the picture! Encouragement is hopefully the key here. I never could learn to play the piano, but I also have the hopes that my children will be musical in some way.

Becky Shuler said...

Great use of shadow! Yet another thing that you are accomplishing...photography!

Anonymous said...

I also love playing the sogs on the piano! But I hate practicing.
But also I love when I finally get the song right and I play it over and over again!

Becky Shuler said...

Great picture and you are so lucky that you have a piano!! I hope Emily loves it as much as you!!

Stacy Pettersen said...

Sweet picture. I guess this means you are learning the ins-and-outs of your awesome new camera? Soon we'll have to hire you to take some shots of Annabelle!