Wednesday, April 1, 2009

1 Year Old Check-up

I am still having a hard time coming to terms with the fact that Layton is a ONE YEAR old. Crazy. I took him in for his check-up and not surprisingly he is a major light weight. He only weighed 17 lbs 5 oz and he is 28 inches tall. That’s ok though. The doctor didn’t seem too concerned because he meets all of the expected developmental milestone, like walking, bending down and picking up objects, playing games (he loves to give you a "high five"), saying “words” like ma-ma and da-da, gesturing, and responding to his name. He did tell me though to try to up his calorie intake. Layton is old enough now to start drinking regular milk. With Mandy and Dallin, the only way that I could get them to transition from breastfeeding to drinking cow’s milk was to mix in a little Hershey’s chocolate syrup. I had always felt a little guilty about doing that because of all the sugar it adds. One of the things the doctor mentioned for me to do to up Layton’s calorie intake is to ADD chocolate syrup or chocolate powder to his milk. So now I don’t feel that bad about giving it to Mandy and Dallin, because like Layton, they were always on the bottom end of the weight scale too. So it’s chocolate milk on doctor’s orders!!! Lucky Layton!

He also received four shots. One in each arm and leg. I was told that they would probably make him run a fever and he would likely seem a little lethargic. So it was no surprise when I saw Layton laying on the couch like this:

IMG_30331

But wait, what’s going on here:

IMG_3050

Oh, he was just kidding me:

IMG_3034

Not even shots can slow this boy down:

IMG_3025

Maybe that explains his very low weight – the child is always moving at 150% -

IMG_3030

3 comments:

Becky Shuler said...

I can't believe your BABY is A YEAR OLD now! What a cutie! And that is hilarious that the doctor suggested you add chocolate to his milk! Juliette had a very hard time switching from breast milk to cows milk. Good luck with the transition.

The Sauls Family said...

Our pediatrician also recommended mixing in Carnation Instant Breakfast into the milk for the extra calories when my girls were so little. It's got some extra vitamins and nutrients in it that makes Mama feel not-so-guilty! ;)

Kelly said...

I don't check in for a day or two and I miss so much fun! Happy to hear Layton is up and moven. If shots don't keep him down nothing will. When Kade was at his 1 year old shot appt. He looked at his leg rubbed it looked at the nurse and laughed when they gave him his shots. Madison and McKinnley were watching and they were both sobbing! Dang shots!
I hear you... it's breaking my heart Layton is already One... Where has the time gone?...
Loved the post about Dallin loving his sister that photo of him and Mandi is Great!
Love my little football player. His little legs are sooo eat-able! I want to nibble on them!
Thanks for all the fun to bring me each day!