Friday, June 12, 2009

Cheesecake Cupcakes

I first tasted these back when I was a kid when my cousin Gwen would make them. They are like a little piece of cheesecake heaven! Every time I make them and take them somewhere people just love them.

So here goes -

Ingredients:

  • 3 (8 ounce) packages cream cheese
  • 1 cup white sugar
  • 4 eggs
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • graham cracker crumbs
  • 2/3 cup sour cream
  • 2/3 cup white sugar
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • Cream together the cream cheese and 1 cup of sugar. Then beat in one egg at a time. Add vanilla. Beat until extremely smooth:

    IMG_4469

    You can make these either in regular muffin size pans or in mini-muffin pans. I actually prefer the mini-muffin pans because it is just the right size for a perfect little bite of cheesecake.

    Grease the pans with a thick coating of shortening. Then pour a little bit of graham cracker crumbs into each muffin spot.

    IMG_4463

    Shake the crumbs around in the pan so that they coat the bottom and edges of each muffin hole. Then shake the excess off into the trash. Or when using multiple pans, you can shake the excess off onto the next pan and save a few crumbs. I know, I am such a amazing conservationist :)

    IMG_4464

    Fill the muffin tin 7/8ths of the way full for the mini muffins, but only about half way full for the regular size muffins. The reason being that you don’t want the cheesecake part to be too thick or it just won’t taste right.

    IMG_4472 IMG_4471

    Bake at 350 degrees for about 20 to 25 minutes for mini muffins or 25 to 30 minutes for regular size muffins. They should look all puffy like this when they are done and be ever so slightly golden brown on the top.

    IMG_4474

    In a small bowl mix together the sour cream, 2/3 cup sugar and 1 tsp vanilla. After you take the cheesecakes out of the oven, let them sit for about 5 minutes. During that time the center will sink down and create a little well in each of them. Spoon the sour cream mixture into each well.

    IMG_4479

    Bake at 350 degrees for about 5 to 7 minutes to “set” the sour cream mixture. Let them cool in the pans then remove and refrigerate until ready to serve. If you want you could even add a little fruit on each one, but really they taste great plain. Another great thing about these is that they lend themselves well to holidays. You can add a little food coloring into the sour cream mixture to make them festive. Go orange for Halloween, or green for St. Patrick’s Day, or hot pink for Valentine’s day. Very fun!

    IMG_4484

    Pair them with some chocolate dipped strawberries and you’ve got yourself a party!

    IMG_4490

    6 comments:

    The Sauls Family said...

    Heh heh. I can tell you're an engineer with the "fill them to 7/8ths full" instruction. Only an engineer (or someone with massive OCD) would be that precise! ;)

    Those look very yummy. I need to make your truffle cookies from a few weeks back, but just haven't got in the "baking" mood lately. Although after PW posted that Peanut Butter Pie recipe the other day, I'm also craving that. I even set out the cream cheese this morning to make it!

    Katheryn said...

    I've been wanting to make that peanut butter pie too. It looked so yummy!!!!

    Stacy Pettersen said...

    I've had something similar to this before, and always wondered how it was done. Can't wait to try it (you make me look like such a good cook, Katheryn)!

    Becky Shuler said...

    Believe it or not I just found some cream cheese in my fridge that needed to be used up. Perfect thing to make. I love your cooking lessons, too. I notice that you are using a portable mixer. Is that easier than using the monster mixer I gave you? I've got a portable, too.

    Casey Gentle said...

    I love your baking posts.

    minnieokra said...

    And to think they call them "Little Bits". I would like the peanut butter pie recipe if you have it Kat. I've sent you an email today you need to read. Mama