Monday, June 15, 2009

Summertime Activities – Waxed Paper Sun-catchers

Since summer has now officially begun, it is now time for us to start doing some fun summertime activities to fill up the time!  I saw this adorable “Cool Summer Days” activity calendar and thought how fun it would be to make one for my kids.  The one that I saw was beautifully quilted and made with an really cute ice cream cone design.  However, I am not that much of a sewing kind of person (I can do it, but I’m not that great at it), so I decided to go with a simpler design using felt and hot glue :)

IMG_4576

Each day has a little activity in it.  Or rather each day is supposed to have an activity in it.  Sometimes I don’t decide what the activity is going to be until the day before or the morning of and so just write it on the little slip of paper then and slide it into the calendar.  The kids have had a blast finding out each day what their activity is.

IMG_4575

The activities are usually really simple, like reading a book and then making a food that goes along with the story.  For example, a cute book that we checked out from the library is “Pancakes for Supper” and so we made pancakes, but for lunch rather than supper :).  Some of the activities are field trips to the pool, story time at the library, or to the Museum of Science and History. 

One activity that they really enjoyed was making sun-catchers out of old crayons.  I found the activity online here.

You start by picking out all the broken crayons from the box, or in this case from our church bag of crayons.

IMG_4559

Then using a grater, a knife, or scissors, you break the crayon into tiny pieces.

IMG_4564

You cut out the shape of your sun-catchers (top and bottom) out of wax paper.

IMG_4565

Then just place the different colors on the wax paper and then put the top piece on.

IMG_4566

Using a warm iron, cover the wax paper layers with a paper towel to protect the iron, and then just move the iron over the sun-catcher to melt the crayons.

IMG_4567

I think they turned out cute and the kids had a wonderful time.

IMG_4572

I must admit though that it was a bit messy and cleaning the crayon off the grater wasn’t exactly easy, but worth it :)

5 comments:

KYLIA said...

I love that calendar...that is awesome! The suncatcher idea is a great idea mother's day for next year...I'll start grating my crayons now! :)

Becky Shuler said...

You are amazing!!!!!!!!!

Ilene said...

The sun catchers are too cute. Next time you do it just give them crayon sharpeners or pencil sharpeners to grade the crayons with. I bet it will be much easier to clean up. And as hot as it it outside these days You could probably but them on your picinic table in the sun with a metal pan on them and i bet the crayons would melt. We'll try it tomorrow when Julia gets home. And maybe make a fathers day card out of them. I let you know how they turn out!

Katheryn said...

A crayon sharpener! Why didn't I think of that??? Yes, I think that definitely would have worked much better. Let know how it works for you so I'll know for next time we do this.

Cari said...

I LOVE HOT GLUE!!!!