Tuesday, August 25, 2009

First Day of School Part 2

Yesterday was the first day of the 2009-2010 school year not only for Dallin by for Nathan also.

IMG_5763

Nathan is taking his second class on his road to getting his master’s degree.  It is a little taxing on him to have to work full time and take a college class, but so far he has been handling it great.  From his report of yesterday’s class, things went well and he is excited about learning to “Make Decisions with Data”. 

IMG_5765

Dallin’s first day seemed to go really well too.  He was a little sad that only one of his friends from his class last year was in his class this year.  But he was VERY happy that when he went to recess he got to see all of his old friends.  He told me he really liked his teacher but that she only taught “kindergarten work” yesterday.  I guess he was expecting to learn all kinds of new and cool things since now he was a 1st grader.  He didn’t realize that usually the first few weeks of school is review of what was taught last year.

IMG_5769

I have seen a few other moms that celebrate the first day of school with a little party, so I thought it would be fun to copy that idea and do it with Dallin too.  So last night, he got to choose what we had for dinner.  He picked shrimp, melon, donuts and pop rocks.  Oh so balanced, I know.  We had a lot of fun.  I think this is one tradition that we are going to hang on to and do every year!

IMG_5772

5 comments:

Ilene said...

Oh cool hats! We did kinda the same thing only with out the party favors. Julia picked her favorite food. (hamburgers, fries, brownies). Her first day was today. I think we'll do the same for first day of school each year. I wonder if our menu will change? Glad Dallin and Nathan enjoyed there first day of school:)

Becky Shuler said...

The picture of Dallin walking toward the school with backpack and satchel...he was carrying as much as he weighs...I love the pic of Dallin and Dad's first day of school. I am so proud of Nathan being willing to work so hard to provide for his family. I know it throws an extra burdon on you, too. But if anyone can handle it, you can. I love my Jarvis family.

Casey Gentle said...

I love that you said it's "taxing" on Nathan...since he's into that kind of thing, taxes, numbers, data. Anyhow, cute idea with the back to school party. I won't tell the other blog about your dinner last night! :)

Erin said...

Oh, Dallin - a man after my own heart - shrimp and donuts - YUMMY!
I love the picture of Daddy and Dallin together - very sweet. And I have a similar picture of Emma walking into school - I guess great minds and all that!
Blessings to you and Nathan. I can remember the days of Jason working full time and then taking 9 credit hours of classes...this too shall pass. (((HUGS)))

Mandi said...

I love the picture of Dallin and Nathan. I am glad EVERYONE has a great first day back.