Tuesday, August 18, 2009

A little adventure

Life is certainly never boring around here.  Last Wednesday, I woke up to a day like any other.  Got the kids breakfast, blogged, did a little cleaning, did a little work, ran some errands, got the kids lunch, and then I got a phone call that threw my normal little day for  a loop.  My cousin Gretta called and said that two of her boys, Bronson and Bailey, were stranded at the Jacksonville airport.  They had been flying standby from California back to Utah, but due to a completely full flight they were unable to return home.  They had been planning on coming to Florida the following week to visit family, so because of some rules that minors were not allowed to stay overnight at the airport, she just went ahead and made arrangements for them to fly to Florida now.  She had thought that one of her sisters that live in the Tallahassee/Bristol area would be able to come over and pick them up that day, but none of them were able to.  So she called me.  And I went to pick them up.  Which was interesting to say the least because I had never actually met them before, so I didn’t know what they looked like and they didn’t know what I look like either.  I had to circle through the passenger pick up lane a few times before I found them because apparently you aren’t allowed to actually stop your vehicle unless your party is waiting, but since I didn’t know exactly where they were waiting and what they looked like it took me a couple passes before I found them.  But I did.  So they hopped into a stranger’s vehicle and I took them to get something to eat because the poor things had run out of money.  Then I brought them home where they crashed.

IMG_5623

And crashed hard.  They had been up most of the night on flights and they slept right through all the noise of three little kids playing with no problem at all.  It was amazing.

IMG_5621

They spent the night with us and then we drove them half-way to Tallahassee the next morning to meet up with their aunt.  It was a fun little adventure and it was nice to meet some of our Utah cousins.  It really does make it nice to have such a humongous family.  If anything ever happened like that to me or my kids, we have cousins all over the US that would help us out just like we helped them.

3 comments:

Erin said...

What a neat adventure! I'll bet your kiddos were so excited to meet some new cousins and tried to talk their ears off!
It is amazing to me how hard teenage boys sleep - I haven't been able to spend too much time with my nephew Alex, but all his habits blow me away!

Casey Gentle said...

Did Mandy put on her special pink CUTE hoodie? I bet those boys were grateful to you for being so willing to help at a moments notice. That's what family is for! Sometimes I think people that grow up in a small family don't always understand. I love a little adventure. :)

Ilene said...

I just learned something never fly without your address book! Flying alone is awful. When I was 18 for my graduation present my mom flew me to Oklahoma to visit my family that I hadn't seen since I was 3. I was terified, all alone, and had no idea what they looked like either. As I stood there waiting, there was a group saying is that her. So I guessed that was my family. They started asking about my family and how they were, and once we made it to the van, they asked my how Lavern was. My mind went blank I knew no one named Lavern. They said your grandfather. Then I really got scarred thinking I was in the wrong car. I told them grandpa's name was Mitch. They got a good laugh they said no his name is Lavern. His last name is Mitchell and your nana calls him Mitch. Picture that an 18 year old that didn't even know her grandfathers first name!