Wednesday, December 30, 2009

Deer Farm

I only recently found out that my friend/high school seminary teacher and her husband had started a new business venture of raising deer. They don’t normally do ‘tours’ of their facilities, but since Mrs. Deason is so sweet, she let us join her on one of her daily trips to the deer farm to feed all the deer.

IMG_8673

(Layton is crying in this picture because I walked away from to take a picture. He is so ridiculous sometimes!) The highlight of the visit was getting to feed the little baby deer Mrs. Deason affectionately calls “Pie” after his piebald coloring.

IMG_8670

Isn’t he beautiful?

IMG_8660

Dallin just jumped right in and started feeding him.

IMG_8663

Mandy was a little scared, but we eventually did coax her over to feed him too.

IMG_8665

Boy could that deer guzzle down a bottle!

IMG_8667

Layton was pretty unsure at first as well.

IMG_8671

But he soon warmed up to him and loved Pie. Pie followed us around as Mrs. Deason fed all the other deer. He is just so cute!

IMG_8676

After riding around for a while, looking at all the different deer at different stages of development, we went into their large natural holding area where the deer just roamed all over. We came across a couple of bucks fighting.

IMG_86791

Another romping in a field.

IMG_8701

And then we saw him. The big elk.

IMG_86951

Isn’t he magnificent?

IMG_87131

It was a lovely afternoon. We even got to enjoy a beautiful sunset. Thanks Mrs. Deason!

IMG_8716

6 comments:

Mandi said...

That sunset is amazing! I love the photo of Layton crying....what were you thinking going to go take a picture? Yeah, Mandy feeding the deers. That was very brave. The big elk was neat to see. Sounds like a great family adventure.

Martha Deason said...

Love the pictures, but enjoyed your visit more!!!!! You have a beautiful family...thanks for coming and visiting...now that you've all grown up. I love you Katherine....and what a wonderful wife, mother, and friend you've become!!!! Glad it's foreverrrrrr!

Laurel Shaw said...

That sunset looks unreal! What a fun day. I love deer. They are so beautiful to me. The kids look so cute feeding thedeer with bottles. Love it!

Becky Shuler said...

Oh....I wish I had come along. What a wonderful adventure. I have never seen a little deer with that particular coloring. So precious! What do they do with the deer?

Casey Gentle said...

It almost looks like your in Africa with that gorgeous sunset. Looks like a beautiful day. That elk really is grand!

Brittney said...

That sunset is amazing! I love it! And the picture of Layton crying was just adorable! Mandy is very brave to feed some deer! I would be scared too! :) Pie is super cute!!! I just want to take him home with me and snuggle with him! :) He looks super sweet! The kids looked so cute feeding him with the bottle! Love it!!! That big elk looks neat! I would be scared of making him mad for entering his teratory, and him chase after us! :) I wish that i could have came... it looked like a real fun family adventure!!! Love always, Britt :)