Thursday, February 25, 2010

GREAT NEWS!

A little over a month ago, my dad was diagnosed with esophageal cancer.  That diagnosis has kind of sent our whole family on a roller coaster of emotions.  His health has been worsening for over a year and I think we all knew that whatever was wrong with him was serious.  This diagnosis proved that.

However, after a CAT scan a few weeks ago, the doctors told him that it appeared that the cancer had not spread and would be treatable with radiation.  He needed to have a PET scan performed in order to verify that it had not spread.  Due to high blood sugar issues, which he now has under control, the PET scan couldn’t be performed until this past Tuesday.  And happily, the scan showed that the cancer really was contained and that he should continue forward with the radiation treatments that he began almost two weeks ago. 

This is such a relief to all of us.  He still has a long road of treatments and recovery ahead of him, but the outlook is so much more positive now than when we first learned the diagnosis.  Of course, the scans don’t guarantee that the treatment will be successful, but knowing that it is contained to just the one area does raise the odds of survival TREMENDOUSLY. 

It is hard living away from my parents, knowing that he has to go in for treatments everyday during the work week and not being there to help.  Gladly my brothers, especially Cliff, have stepped up to help my mom get Daddy to where he needs to be.  Jason, the son that Daddy wishes he could call his own, has been a wonderful taxi driver also.  Others have helped too, which we are so grateful for.  It is one of those times when saying ‘thank-you’ to those that have helped and will help just seems to not be enough.

But even though, when we go to visit, my dad spends much of his time resting, that doesn’t stop him from finding ways to play with the kids.  He loves his grandchildren so much.  I think he was born to be a Granddaddy.  This past weekend when we went, all the kids lined up their feet so that he could tickle them.  They had the best time doing that!

IMG_02161
And when Layton was tired and about to fall asleep, he knew just the right person to go snuggle up with.

IMG_0248

11 comments:

KYLIA said...

That is great news! I'm gonna have to get on to Rebeckah for not keeping me posted...then again, she doesn't slow down much so I'll have to get on to her for that first! Now we just gotta get some weight back on him...I'll be the first to offer up for the transplant! :) Love y'all!

Kim Jarvis said...

That IS great news! I'm happy for you and your family!

Nana said...

I couldn't be happier to hear that news! Dad & I have been praying for him. Tell him for us that we care about him alot and will continue to pray for his steady return to health.

Becky Shuler said...

I love this blog! Kylia, don't worry I have come to a complete stop. I feel so happy and hopeful now. I am taking a couple of small steaks over today to put some meat on his bones. I am so grateful for Cliff & Chels getting him to the doctor! There are so many that have volunteered to help and it is great to see that Jason is there too.

Becky Shuler said...

Katheryn, we have been praying constantly for your dad and I'm so happy to hear the good news that he is doing well. I know it is hard living away from your family (believe me, I know. I'm 10 hours away from mine!) but it makes you feel so wonderful inside to know that others are helping out in your absence.

Anonymous said...

I hadn't heard the news about your dad, but I'm so happy to hear the good news. LOVE the pictures! : )

Pam Bryan

that1gamer2know said...

Nathan told me on Sunday about your Daddy. I am tickled (pun inteneded) to hear the cancer hasn't spread. Good luck with the cancer therapies. Let me know if there is anything we can do for you and your family.

Ilene said...

Glad to hear that it wasn't as bad as every one had thought. Hope he bounces right back to health during the treatments. We will keep him and the rest of your family in our prayers. Let me know if there is anything I can do for you.

Janie Mueller said...

Happy to hear the good news! We will keep your family in our prayers and please let us know if you need anything!

Becky said...

What a blessing that he is doing so well. Looks like an AWESOME grandpa. :)

Casey Gentle said...

AWESOME! Thank you for sharing such wonderful news. Daddies are super important, especially their hugs. Sending lots of love your way.