Thursday, February 18, 2010

Valentine’s Day

Is it odd that I buy my kids gifts for Valentine’s Day?  I know it is supposed to be a day to express your love to your significant other, but I like to think of it as a day to express love not only to him but also to my kids because I think they are pretty special too. 

IMG_0071
I think the favorite gift of the day was Layton’s frog.  He LOVED it.  I never knew that a pull behind toy would be so very entertaining for him.

IMG_0079
I admit, I did break down and buy Dallin some more Star Wars Legos.  What can I say, he needed to have some of the good guys and a rebel ship.

IMG_0186
Then that evening, I made us all a nice steak dinner.

IMG_0096
Dallin decided that he thought we should have steak every night.  Yeah, I don’t think so.  We ended the night with a delicious Coconut Cake filled with chocolate ganache.

IMG_0092
Heavenly.  I’ll post the recipe tomorrow.  And just so you know, Nathan totally came through with some chocolate for me.  He’s just awesome like that.

6 comments:

that1gamer2know said...

Every year growing up my dad bought my mom, me and my sister something for Valentine's Day. He would always tell us WE were his Valentines. My mom did the same for my dad and brothers. Valentine's Day is the day we celebrate those we love. I think you are doing the right thing!! Our babies need to know they belong to us and we love them.

Kelly said...

NICE WORK NATHAN! That food looks yummy and I am looking forward to the cake secrets! I am going to make Maizie's birthday cake today and it is going to made with your magical cupcakes recipie. I have made them several time since the night you made them and can't get enough! What a LUCKY lil girl!
That frog looks so cute. Layton looks so happy pulling it!
Glad your day was a good one!
xoxoxo

Casey Gentle said...

Cassie is correct! Lots of love isn't a bad thing at all. Good job including them in the love sandwich. Nathan- way to go. You're always good at taking a not so subtle hint.

Janie Mueller said...

I think it was special for the kids to receive something too:) Nothing wrong with a little extra lovin!! MMM..that dinner and dessert looked yummy!!

Stacy Pettersen said...

A friend of mine was visited every year by the "Valentine Lady." His grandmother came around to all the grandkids' homes to ring the doorbell and leave a gift (and sneak away, of course). It became a very memorable tradition for them.

We didn't get Annabelle a gift this year (I ran out of time), but I think it's a good idea. Mommy & Daddy should be their only Valentine until their at least 18, right?

Mandi said...

I have one question..... how are you soooo tiny with all these amazing meals and sweets you make?

My dad always bought us goodies on Valentines Day. I do the same for my kids. Showing love is a great thing... how can it be a bad thing to have a special day for them ad the hubby?