Tuesday, September 16, 2008

Generations

Becker/Layton 4 Generations
We are very lucky that Dallin, Mandy, and Layton have all of their grandparents living and three of their great-grandparents still living as well. When I grew up, my mother's father had died when she was only 12 and my father's father passed away when I was only two so I didn't grow up getting to have the joy of a grandpa in my life. I am so glad that my three children will. If you are wondering about the "Layton" in the title of this picture, Layton was actually named after Nathan's grandmother's maiden name. We love Grandma very much and we are really happy to have our son carry on her family name.

The Jarvis Name LineNot only is Layton carrying on Grandma's surname, he is also one of the two boys in the family that will be carrying on the Jarvis name. It doesn't really mean anything to them now, but when they are older I think that they will be really proud of the family their name represents. They have a wonderful heritage of amazing people on both sides of our family that they will be proud that they descended from.

Shuler/Sims GenerationsAs mentioned before, Mama Doris' husband, my Big Pa, passed away when I was two. So our family has always been overseen by the Matriarch rather than the Patriarch. Mama Doris is an amazing woman and a great example to all of us. My Dad is pretty amazing too. He is absolutely generous to fault. And children, especially my children, just seem to gravitate toward him. It is as though they can detect a kindred spirit that loves to be outside and play just as much as they do.

Woodberry Family
Mandy was named after my grandmother Minnie Amanda Woodberry. My mom also happens to be named after her. Grandma Woodberry passed away while I was on my mission. She was another really amazing woman. My mom's father died in a construction accident when she was only twelve. So Grandma raised her and her sister by herself from that time on. In order to not only be at home with her kids and but also to provide a living for the family, Grandma opened up the front room of her home and turned it into a beauty parlor. Mama always tells me stories of the fun times she had there. My mom is also someone I am so grateful to have as an example in my life. She is an artist, a mathematician, a genealogist and most importantly a loving wonderful mother.
Adoption Stories

In additional to all the wonderful family I have already mentioned, I also have the added blessing of having an "adopted" mother. Aunt Becky has not only adopted me, but my whole family. She considers Nathan her son and my children her grandchildren. Not only that, but she also "adopted" a sister for me that just happens to be my best friend. Works out pretty good for me!

I think that Heavenly Father knew that I needed to be surrounded by amazing, strong, and gifted people. I couldn't have asked for better examples of how to be a good person than those that he has placed closest to me. I love all of my family, and when I say that I mean Nathan's family as well because I feel so very close to them too. I feel so blessed to have all these wonderful generations of people in my life.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am the one who is blessed!For someone who couldn't have children I certainly got the two best daughters of heart, two best sons (in-law), and three precious grandchildren. Without this gift from your parents and Gail and Jerry, I could never have known this wonderful feeling of love which is unlike any other.

Becky Shuler said...

This is one of the most special posts I've ever written! I am touched by the sweet stories and pictures. What a wonderful way to pay tribute to all of your loved ones and the awesome heritage that you have. Thanks for sharing.