Saturday, October 25, 2008

First Talk

Dallin has given the scripture and prayer a number of times in primary, but somehow he has missed out on giving a talk until this past Sunday. He was so excited about it and was really happy that Daddy, Nana, and Grandpa could watch him say it. I wish everyone could have seen his face when Sister Shaw announced that it was time for him to give his talk. He looked over at me with biggest grin on his face and a little twinkle in his eye. He did a great job saying it (with my help of course). We based it on the story that we had read in the Friend the previous week for family home evening. His talk:

The Prophets and Apostles teach me how to serve. In the Friend this month, President Eyring told a story about how his Aunt and Uncle helped his family after his mother died and gave them a special gift of homemade canned cherries. President Eyring taught that giving gifts has three parts to it. First, you have to try to understand how the other person feels. Are they sad? Do they need help? How can you help them feel better? Second, you have to give with all your heart and not expect anything back. Third, your gift should be a sacrifice. You could sacrifice your time, your money, or your things. Heavenly Father gave us the greatest gift of all. He understands us and knows that we would make mistakes and that we would need a Savior. Jesus gave his life for us freely and willingly. I love my Heavenly Father and his Son Jesus Christ. I love the prophets and apostles and all that they teach me. In the name of Jesus Christ, Amen.

3 comments:

KYLIA said...

Way to go Dallin! I am so proud of you! I bet you'll give a whole lot more talks before you get out of Primary...good job on your first one!!!

Love you!

Stacy Pettersen said...

That is wonderful Dallin! I wish I could have seen you, but I'm glad I could read it. What a great lesson for us all.

Becky Shuler said...

What a beautiful talk. I'm sure it was very special to hear him speak in primary for the first time! Thanks for sharing!