Thursday, October 23, 2008

Pumpkin Patch FHE

Last Monday night we decided to go to the pumpkin patch for family home evening. Dallin had been asking to get a pumpkin for quite a while and when I told him on Sunday what we would be doing the next day he was so excited. He even went to school and told his teacher what he would be doing that evening :). Monday afternoon he helped me get the table all ready to decorate our pumpkins. He put a black marker and paint brush at each place mat so everyone would have one.

While I do love to look at the really cool pumpkins that other people carve, I'm not much on actually carving the pumpkin myself. Mostly it is just laziness. Carving pumpkins is pretty hard to do, especially for little kids. And besides, if I only decorate the outside of it, then I can still cut it up and cook it later. I don't know about you but I love pumpkinny things. Pumpkin bread, pumpkin cake, pumpkin muffins, pumpkin cream cheese roll, pumpkin pie, pumpkin soup, pumpkin souffle. Yummy, yummy, yummy. Maybe I shouldn't write blogs when I'm hungry, it makes me get too far off subject. Anyway, back to FHE. Just as we were heading out the door to the pumpkin patch it started to rain. We loaded up in the car anyway and drove up there. Nathan was supposed to meet us there on his way home from work. I had to break it to Dallin that maybe we wouldn't be able to get a pumpkin that day and he started to cry.We got up there, waited for a while and still the rain didn't stop. We left to go home and then just as I was about to turn onto our road, Nathan called me and said the sky was clearing. And suddenly so was the mood in our car. Dallin was all happy again and so we went to get our pumpkins. We picked out one BIG pumpkin for the family and then Dallin and Mandy each picked out a pumpkin for themselves. Then Dallin decided that Layton needed a little pumpkin too, so he picked out one for Layton. We took them home and decorated them. They had a great time. Dallin is really into Halloween this year. It is so fun seeing how much he is enjoying it.


The finished product:


3 comments:

Ilene said...

How fun, we went to the pumpkin patch in middleburg on monday for FHE also. But we still haven't carved our pumpkins yet. We normally carve them and I freeze all the pumpkin stuffings and make pumpkin dishes later. We especially love pumpkin pies! Your pumpkins are cute. Julia loves Haloween too (she loves to dress up! this year she wanted to be a ballerina)

Shelah said...

very cute pumpkins!

Kim Jarvis said...

We're glad that the rain stopped for you, Dallin! Looks like you had lots of fun.