Friday, November 28, 2008

Happy, Happy Birthday Sisters Dear

Yesterday was my sister Lisa's birthday and today is my sister Sherri's birthday. Lisa is XX years old and Sherri is XX years old (I don't want to post their actual ages for fear of my life).

Lisa is the next oldest sibling to me and she has one of the funniest, cutest personalities. She is also one of the nicest people I know. My favorite memory of Lisa is on my either 9th or 10th (I have a horrible memory for dates) birthday. Rather than having a big party, my mom told me that I could invite over two friends for a slumber party. The much anticipated day arrived and I very sadly (with lots of overly dramatic tears) received the news that due to uncontrollable circumstances the two friends that I had invite over would not be able to make it. So my sister Lisa gave up what I am sure would have been some super fun teenage plans and took my birthday enjoyment into her hands. We went to the video store (this was back when there were only VHS tapes and no DVDs) and picked out a couple of movies. Then my sister stayed up half the night with me, watching movies, pigging out on sugary snacks, and playing games. It was absolutely the best slumber party that I have ever been to. Thanks Lisa for making me feel so special and giving me such a great birthday!

Sherri is married to my oldest brother David. She and David started dating when I was 6, I think. So to me, it seems like Sherri has always been a part of our family and is every bit as much a sister to me as my own biological sisters. And in some ways she has had even more influence over my life than my own biological sisters. By the time I was an impressionable teenager looking for a young cool person to look up to, both Rachel and Lisa had moved out on their own to pursue their own lives. Luckily though, Sherri had by that time married David and they lived right down the road. So I spent tons of time (probably to the point of annoyance to Sherri) at their home learning from her example. It is because of her that I think when it was my turn to become a mother it just seemed so natural because I had already spent so much time taking care of my nieces and nephew. Thanks Sherri for being such a great example to me and letting me practice my mothering skills on my lovable nieces and nephew!

I hope you both had a FANTASTIC birthday!

2 comments:

minnieokra said...

That does sound like a neat birthday. Maybe we can do it again sometime. Mama

minnieokra said...

I know just the movies...the two I always love to watch..Iron Will and African Queen. Mama again