Thursday, February 26, 2009

Our $75 Cake

IMG_1325

Remember that cake I made? Well this one makes the one that I made seem like a pale imitation of a cake. And rightly it should. This one was made by a professional pastry chef. And oh my goodness, this pastry chef is a master. One bite of this cake and you will be in heaven. I'm talking eyes rolling back in your head with each bite because of the extreme ecstasy your taste buds are experiencing. Lets just say that if you were to fill a room with all the world's leaders and give them a piece of this cake, the ensuing atmosphere of utter satisfaction and contentment would bring about world peace like we've never seen before. Seriously, while Nathan was in chocolate utopia eating this cake, I actually considered asking him if I could buy a macro lens (which cost about $300) for my camera because in that state there is no way that he could have said no. But I didn't. I knew if I did I would always feel guilty for taking advantage of his weakened chocolaty condition. I just can't say enough about this cake. Chocolate cake layers. Strawberry cream filling. Chocolate ganache icing. Heaven. Heaven. Heaven.

I know you must be wondering about the $75 price tag though, because under normal circumstances, even though the cake itself is absolutely worth that much, we would never pay $75 for a cake. But, we just happen to be lucky enough to have a pastry chef that lives in our ward and he donated two cakes to the Young Women's girls camp dessert auction. So really we were just making a donation to the young women in our ward. The crazy thing is that the $75 we spent on our cake was not even the highest amount spent on a dessert that evening. One dessert went for $90. Another was sold for $70 and then because the man who bought it is diabetic, he put the cake back up for auction and it sold for $65. So the YW earned $135 for a single cake!!! Needless to say they earned way more than what they needed for camp. It was such a fun evening. The YW sold tickets for a spaghetti dinner and then the dessert auction followed the dinner. It is a lot of fun bidding for things like that. You really get caught up in the moment, which is why we spent as much as did on that cake. It was for a great cause though, so we were happy to donate the money. And besides, like I said, that cake was absolutely worth every single penny. I dream about it every night. One of these days, I'm going to learn how to make a cake like that myself!

7 comments:

The Sauls Family said...

That cake looks pretty fabulous. I love dessert auctions!

Stacy Pettersen said...

A pastry chef in the Middleburg Ward, do I know this person? I would LOVE to take a baking class someday (and cake decorating too)... there's just something so satisfying about creating a masterpiece like that!

Katheryn said...

Do you know the Meeks family? The younger brother Meeks is a pastry chef. You should have seen the other cake that he made. The decorations were so detailed, it was amazing.

KYLIA said...

Looks like me and Aunt Becky left a few hours too early...dang it! That cake looks divine!!

Becky Shuler said...

When I first saw the pic I thought you were going to say you made it. If you had I was going to recommend your starting a bakery! I think the baking class is a great idea. I still am planning for you, Kylia and myself to go to Paula Dean's Cooking school.

Casey Gentle said...

Do you think he'd make it without the strawberry filling? Just choc and ganache!? I like strawberries, just not a big fan of strawberry filling. The ones on top would be fine though! :)

By the way, don't go to Paula's cooking school. I've been twice. Not quite a school. And its $250 each...you don't even get to pick up a knife with her. Its more like being live in her audience while she's filming a show. Stil VERY entertaining. And good food around you. Beware of crazy women with daggers! The claws come out at her classes!

Marla said...

My mouth is watering just looking at this cake...Yum!