Monday, April 20, 2009

Our Teeny Tiny Garden

IMG_3606For the past three years we have been planting a tiny little garden each spring. We plant tomatoes, cucumbers, bell peppers, jalapeños, squash, and a few herbs. In the past, we have successfully grown a few tomatoes, a few bell peppers and tons of jalapeños. In the last three years, we have yet to get more than a couple of squash from our squash plants and only about three cucumbers from our cucumber vines. Everyone tells us that squash is one of the easiest things to grow and that each plant will make tons and tons of squash. IMG_3614So we’re going to keep trying to see if we can get them to grow right. It has become very apparent to me that I just don’t have very much of a green thumb at all. I’ve just got my fingers crossed that with some good old fashioned dumb luck, maybe this year we’ll be a little more successful. I will have to say though that I absolutely LOVE the herb portion of our garden. We have rosemary, thyme, basil, parsley, chives, and oregano. IMG_3618








They all smell so good. Sometimes, when we are playing outside I’ll just walk by and pinch a little off one of the herbs and rub it between my fingers and just enjoy the smell. They also make for some delicious food. When you hear people say “fresh is best”, it’s really true, especially for herbs. IMG_3611

It is also a fun fresh air family activity that the kids really enjoy participating in. Dallin especially loves to go out and water the garden. He has been kind of sad that it has been raining pretty frequently for the last week or so because he hasn’t been able to spray everything with the hose. If you are wondering why they are planting flowers in our vegetable garden, it’s because we heard somewhere that planting flowers around the vegetables will help attract bees to pollinate the plants. Let’s hope it works!

4 comments:

Casey Gentle said...

I really need to start a garden. I'm so terrible at it though! Maybe I can ask my uncle to help! :)

Karen Hartzell, Graco said...

What a fun family activity. I am just starting with flowers with my 4 yo DD. Next year I hope to do a veggie garden too.

Erin said...

I agree with Casey - we need to get planting at our house, too! I like your garden boxes - that might be the way to go over here. I really love the picture of Mandy with her little shovel. You can tell in her face she is taking her job very seriously.

Jerimiah Easley said...

I'm amazed and impressed at how diligent you are with your blog. You post (oh I mean blog) nearly every day and have so many great pictures. What a great family activity to take care of a garden. You guys sure seem to be doing it right.