Friday, May 1, 2009

Slipping

I think there is a very good reason that Nathan and I will probably not have any more children. With each child, my mothering skills and attention to mothering details are slipping more and more.

Last week we had a little play date over at our house. Towards the end of the play date, I gave the kids a little treat then they all had a sucker. Dallin Layton (see what I mean, I can’t even keep my kids straight), whined for one too and because I wanted to quiet him, I unwrapped a sucker and gave it to him. One of the other moms acted a little surprised and said, “You know, I never would have thought to give my baby a sucker.” And as I thought about it for a moment, it is kind of odd to give a sucker to a 1 year old. This thought was further enforced as the other mom that was there pointed out, “Yeah, you have to be careful because sometimes the sucker can pop right off the stick.” After that, do you think that I rushed to take the sucker away from him on the fear that he might choke? Nope, not me. In fact I gave him another one later that day so that I could talk on the phone in peace. Who cares that it might rot his teeth out. I needed a few minutes of quiet.

IMG_3908

Now, do you think I would have EVER done that with Dallin? Not on your life. I had to make sure everything was perfect and safe for him. With Mandy too. But poor Layton, he’s the baby and I give into him more often than I should even admit to. He really did get the short end of the mothering deal. Just think back on most of his pictures for the past year. About 75% of the time, he was in his PJs because I was too lazy to change his clothes. Heck, I even took him to church in his PJs a few times. And good golly, I even like to take pictures of him when he’s crying and laugh at his red face and tears. My mothering instincts are waning.

So in the interest of the child, it is probably best that I don't have anymore kids. It’s quite possible that I would end up letting the fourth child play with knives if it meant that I could get 5 minutes of quiet time.

8 comments:

Kelly said...

That is Awesome! Don't feel bad it happens to the BEST of us. I think it only tough'ns em up! Layton will be just fine. Just remind Dallin and Mandy to not let Layton play with a knife! You should be hooked up! Nothing I love more than a cute lil' Monkey in pjs to cuddle up with. I have found myself with each kid staying in my pjs more too. I think we are all happier that way. Slipping or not slipping You are one Heck Of A Mother! I am hopping for # 4. You have such cute monkeys how could you stop at just 3? Lets hit that party (together) and make a plan for another together. We could help each other survive the yuck! Take turn on Sunday running into the bathroom all that fun stuff.
DARLING photo of my Favorite little man!

Kelly said...

Hopping... Hoping...
Wishing... Wanting...
It's all the same!

Kim Jarvis said...

It is so great that Kate and Layton are so close in age. I find myself laughing when I read a lot of your posts because they are so similar to my recent experiences. Just YESTERDAY, I was at the store with Ryan and Kate. Kate was fussing and pulling stuff out of my purse. She ended up finding a lollipop in there. I did the same thing as you - I unwrapped that sucker and stuck it in her mouth. The rest of the shopping trip went much more smoothly!
(and No, I never would've done that with Bre. But, a sucker is small potatoes compared to what I let Kate get away with!)

Jinger Deason said...

This blog had me rolling on the floor laughing!!
Classic!
1st child = minor cut = rush to ER
2nd child = minor cut = "let mommy kiss it better, here's a bandaid"
3rd child = minor cut = "I told you not to come back in the house unless you were bleeding to death"
HA HA!! ;)

Ilene said...

You guys are so funny. I laughed so hard I almost peed my pants. Even the comments are funny. And they sound so true to me except I never got upset if Julia fell and hurt herself I tried not to baby her so she would be tough, and just get right back up. Sometimes she amazed me, She bump her head or fall and start bleeping and she just get right back up and kept going.

Stacy Pettersen said...

A friend of mine was just saying that with her second one she's found herself not "following the rules" like she did with her first. I thought to myself 'Not me!' After reading this and the comments... maybe I need to rethink that!!! =)

mrsarmogansclass said...

That's so funny! Just last night my dad was saying how with the first you want everything to be super safe, brand new, sterilized to the inth degree. Then somehow along the way you find yourself changed. Suddenly, instead of picking up that fallen paci with sterile forceps and transmitting it into a steaming hot purification pot of boiling water, you stick it in your own mouth for two seconds and pop in back in...just for the PEACE (LOL) I love ya Katheryn!!!

Erin said...

I guess I was slipping from the first - I actually have a picture of Emma eating out of the cat food bowl when she was not yet two. Did I pick her up and wash the cat food out of her mouth? Nope - I went and found the camera first!
And Grady wears PJs most of the time. Its just something that happens with each baby. Natalie Peterson sent me a great email about it - I'll have to send it to you.
Oh, and by the way - I thought giving the babies a sucker was a great idea - I was commenting because I had never thought of using suckers to keep him quiet. You can bet we picked up some extra lollipops last night at the carnival!