Monday, August 31, 2009

What? She’s 90?

My grandma turned 90 yesterday.  She had a huge birthday party on Saturday.  So for the next few days, just get used to me posting things about her.  For starters today, I wanted to share the biography that was written in the program.

IMG_5824

Doris was born August 30, 1919 to goodly parents who raised her to be strong, self-assured, intelligent, happy, generous, kind, and loving - in short - AMAZING. She graduated at the top of her class and at only 18 years old, she left her home and served a mission for the LDS church in Spartanburg, South Carolina and the Catawba Indian reservation in North Carolina. At age 25, she met the love of her life, Parley Sunshine Shuler. Upon marrying him she immediately gained 5 wonderful children to whom she was more friend than mother. She later had two more children and now has more grand children, great-grand children, and great-great grand children than she can count! But somehow, she knows and loves each and every one of them. She spent much of her life working at White Springs which she cherished because she loved talking to and getting to know all the people she met. Later in life, she served another mission for the LDS church at the Atlanta Temple. Her life has been one of service and most importantly love. And she hasn't quit yet! She still has lots of spunk and lots more love to give. Aren't we lucky to have the privilege of knowing her?

6 comments:

Nathan said...

She truly is one of the most wonderful women I have ever been priveledged to know. I am grateful to have married into her family and be counted as one of her grand children. I love you Mama Doris! It was a wonderful weekend to be with her!

Casey Gentle said...

I love Mama Doris just from seeing her cute pictures and hearing great stories about her...like her biography there. She must be our family's equivalent to Big Ma! She too was GREAT! Great cook, great person and great grandma. Not to mention hugging her was like hugging the softest pillows ever. She was so soft and fluffy.

Becky Shuler said...

Katheryn, the party was amazing...good job to you, Aunt Becky and Kylia for planning the whole thing! It was great seeing you this weekend and I'll be checking your blog for new pictures and posts about the lady we all love!

Erin said...

What a wonderful tribute! You are so fortuate to still have your grandparents with you, and I am looking forward to seeing more pictures and reading more stories this week.

Ilene said...

Amazing! Don't grandparents always seem like amazing people to us. She's the same age as my great grandmother (whom is still alive and will be moving to Florida in November.) But I don't know that much about her. I guess we'll have to visit her often to get all the family stories.

Nana said...

I enjoyed my whole weekend with your family! They are all wonderful, especially Mama Doris. I hope I'm just like her one day. It was not a culture shock at all. They are very much like my Mom's side of the family and I felt right at home.