Wednesday, September 16, 2009

The Clown Princess

Mandy is a clown. We all know it. She loves to be goofy and make people laugh.

IMG_6412 copy

But it is surprising how royal she can act as well. While riding in the car, Nathan was telling the kids what chores they would need to do when we returned home. After hearing the list, Mandy brightly said, “I like presents and candy”, as though the only way we were going to get her to do anything is present gifts and lay them as an offering at the feet of our little princess.

I really think she is on to something though. The next time someone asks me to do something I am totally going to answer with, “I like presents and candy.”

I think her decree sounded so princessy to me because I’ve had royalty on the brain for the last little bit. I’ve recently discovered the books of Shannon Hale. The books I’ve read are The Goose Girl and Princess Academy. I know the titles don’t really sound that promising, but they were a surprisingly good read. They were written for a fairly young age group, I would say maybe the 9 to 14 year old crowd, but I still found lots to enjoy in them. They were many different layers to the story of intrigue, family relations, caste systems, war, and even elements of magic. And I’m not the only one who likes her stories, she won a Newberry Honor Award for the Princess Academy. Shannon Hale also happens to be LDS, which is how I found out about her in the first place. So if you are looking for a light, entertaining read, I would give them a try!

5 comments:

Kim Jarvis said...

I know what that's like - Haley often acts like she expects the royal treatment.
Thanks for the book recommendation - I'm always looking for something good to read!

Casey Gentle said...

When I want some royal treatment, Mark takes me to Burger King and Dairy Queen. He loves fast food royalty.

The Sauls Family said...

I loved Hale's "Austenland". It was her first book aimed at adults.

Mandi said...

So cute! I to love gifts and Candy can you ask her if she thinks it will work when I have to do laundry? If it does I may look forward to doing it a little more.

minnieokra said...

I've got to talk to Mandy...there's nothing like cold hard cash. But presents and candy are nice. I think I'll try that one too. Perhaps you can put a pea under her bed and see if she can tell if it is there. If not, then perhaps she may have to do the chores without any candy. Naw...she's got such a good thing going.