Tuesday, December 15, 2009

Ukrainian baby – all the way

Last week, our very fun friends invited us over for an international treat. Heath served his mission in Russia and I served in Ukraine (which used to be a part of the USSR) so we just couldn’t miss the opportunity to cook up some ethnic cuisine. Yummy borsch

IMG_8294

Holubtsi (which is just cabbage rolls)

IMG_8298

Heath made some plemeni and then we had some delicious chocolate cake (which was not Russian, but who cares because it was so delicious!) and pechivo (cookies) for dessert.

IMG_8297

After all that good food, what could make the night any better? How about some good dancin’!

IMG_8306

A couple goofy boys and some cute girls

IMG_8316

Dallin showing off some awesome b-boy skills

IMG_8323

A few adorable little ones and really good friends

IMG_8309Notice my Ukrainian shirt? It is one of my souvenirs from over there. The detail work is really beautiful.

IMG_8290

Thanks so much to everyone for such a great night! It was awesome!

russian dinner 001 (Thanks Kelly for the picture!!)

7 comments:

Kim Jarvis said...

I've had some of those cookies before - YUM! Thanks again for the wonderful gift you gave to us that night! ;)

Casey Gentle said...

Dallin's dancing moment was brought to you by So You Think You Can Dance. He's the next Legacy. Looks like a great time!!

The Sauls Family said...

I have another friend who served her mission in the Ukraine. (or is it just "Ukraine" with no "the"??). Anyway, she's a bit older than us, so I don't think she was there at the same time as you. But it just goes to show you how small the LDS world is!

Mandi said...

I love Dallins dance moves! I am with Casey I think he could give legacy from "so you think you can dance" a run for his money. The food looks amazing! Yeah for fun nights with great friends! I love the shirt! The colors are beautiful!

Kelly said...

Oh... I finished off the last bowl of borsh last night about 11:45... after I had been in bed for a good long time! I couldn't stop thinking about it and just had to get up and eat it! I wish I had a never ending bowl ready in my fridge for nights like last night. The night was so fun... your shirt was so stylish.. and the next day we found a shirt for Heath to wear... a day to late. We will have to hang on to it for the next time we have A Russian/Ukraine dinner. Those kids sure did work the dance floor. I saw you shake a hip too. Nathan had some tough moves too! Love our Jarvis/ Thompson dances!
Thanks again for all your hard work in preparing the food!It was delish! Like Always! I could pop one of those cookies right now! Yum!

Katheryn said...

Yep, I definitely think that Dallin is pretty sad not to get to see Legacy anymore on SYTYCD. Dallin was definitely inspired by him :)

Jennifer - how funny that you know a sister that served there too? I was there in 1999-2000. When was your friend there?

The Sauls Family said...

Hrmmmm...I *think* she was there 97-98. I need to ask her again!